Can I use my laptop as monitor for a desktop?

In summary, you can use your wife's monitor to power up your new desktop. You will have to enable remote desktop on the desktop and use your laptop to connect to it.
yungman
I just bought a new desktop and I need to power it up and load all the basic programs. I don't want to steal the monitor from the existing desktop because my wife is using it all the time. I don't have another monitor so I have to resort to trying to use one of my old laptop as monitor.

So! Can I do that? What port do I use? Do I have to run anything to make the laptop as monitor? I know I can hook a monitor into a laptop, but can the other way around doable?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
the simplest solution is to borrow your wife's monitor for a few minutes. Boot up your new desktop and enable remote desktop on it (if you have a version lower than professional, then install UltraVNC server to setup remote access on the desktop)
When that's done, use the notebook computer to remote to your new desktop.

I do not believe plugging your desktop video out to your notebook computer's video out will work. However, i have never tried this. Give it a shot and see if it will work.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, I decided to share the monitor with the desk top and wait until my wife goes to bed and work on it.

Do you have a reasonably modern TV?

Borek said:
Do you have a reasonably modern TV?

I have a Sam Sung LCD of less than 3 years old. But I am almost complete in replacing the old computer already.

Thanks

If it's Windows, just use Remote Desktop to connect to it. You'll have to logon once and enable Remote Desktop access, and it is easier if your logon on both machines is identical. I use my desktop machine all the time remotely from my laptop and seldom, if ever, turn on the monitor and actually logon to the desktop machine directly.

1. Can I connect my laptop to a desktop and use it as a monitor?

Yes, it is possible to use your laptop as a monitor for a desktop computer. However, this will depend on the ports and capabilities of your laptop and desktop.

2. How do I connect my laptop to a desktop to use it as a monitor?

The most common way to connect a laptop to a desktop is by using an HDMI or VGA cable. You will need to make sure that your laptop has an HDMI or VGA port and that your desktop has a corresponding output port.

3. Can I use my laptop as a second monitor for my desktop?

Yes, you can use your laptop as a second monitor for your desktop computer. This is helpful if you need extra screen space for multitasking or if you want to mirror your desktop's display.

4. Do I need any special software to use my laptop as a monitor for my desktop?

In most cases, you do not need any special software to use your laptop as a monitor for your desktop. However, you may need to adjust the display settings on both devices to enable the connection.

5. Are there any limitations to using a laptop as a monitor for a desktop?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a laptop as a monitor for a desktop computer. One major limitation is that your laptop may not be able to display the same resolution as your desktop, resulting in a lower quality image. Additionally, some features such as touch screen functionality may not work when using your laptop as a monitor.