Fluids - evacuated chambers

• Thread starter Arctangent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluids
In summary, the discussion was focused on a problem involving an evacuated chamber with a pressure of 23.0 kPa and a 5cm diameter hole covered by a 0.225m diameter circular panel. The question was about the force required to pull off the panel. The conversation revolved around the forces involved, including Fair, the force of the atmosphere pushing down on the panel, Fc, the force of the air inside the chamber pushing up through the hole, and Fp, the pulling force required to remove the panel. The final answer was supposed to be in 3 significant digits, with the conversation noting that the air from the chamber would only push up on the 5 cm diameter area, not the entire panel.
Arctangent
Fluids -- evacuated chambers

I've worked on this problem in a few different ways. Maybe I'm having trouble with the direction of my forces:

We have a
an evacuated chamber
the pressure inside of the chamber is 23.0 kPa
a 5cm diameter hole covered by a
0.225m diameter circular panel (mass is negligable)

And the question asks for the force required to pull off the panel.

My first thinking was that because the "vacuum" is being caused by the pressure of the atmosphere,
I'm calling it Fair,
is the force pointing down on the panel
The force of the air inside the chamber is pushing up through the 5cm diameter hole on a small section of panel
Fc,
and the pulling force required to take off the panel is upwards,
Fp.

So,
Fnet = Fp + Fc - Fair = 0
Fp = Fair - Fc

Fc = PA = 23000*pi*r^2 = 45.16 N
where r is the radius of the hole in the chamber

Fair = 101300*pi*R^2 = 4028 N
where R is the radius of the panel

And then I'd solve for Fp. But my answer -- 3982.61 N -- was incorrect.

I'm obviously missing something critical. Would you have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong, and maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct. I get 4026 N for [itex]F_{air}[/itex] which gives 3981 N.

AM

"a 5cm diameter hole covered by a
0.225m diameter circular panel (mass is negligable"

I am trying to visualize this. A 5 cm hole covered by a 2.25 cm panel? What am I missing?

Gamma said:
"a 5cm diameter hole covered by a
0.225m diameter circular panel (mass is negligable"

I am trying to visualize this. A 5 cm hole covered by a 2.25 cm panel? What am I missing?

.225m = 22.5 cm

.05m = 5.0 cm

just mixed up the conversion a little, that's all.

Andrew Mason said:
Your approach is correct. I get 4026 N for [itex]F_{air}[/itex] which gives 3981 N.

AM

Are you sure? I think I have something wrong here. My final answer is supposed to be in 3 significant digits.

Would the air from the chamber only be pushing up to that 5 cm diameter area or would it be pushing up on the whole panel?

What is an evacuated chamber?

An evacuated chamber is a sealed container that has had all air and gas removed from it, creating a vacuum. This vacuum allows for the study and manipulation of fluids without the interference of air molecules.

How are evacuated chambers used in fluid science?

Evacuated chambers are used in fluid science to study the behavior and properties of fluids under different pressure and temperature conditions. They are also used in experiments that require a controlled environment, such as mixing and separating different fluids.

What are the benefits of using an evacuated chamber in fluid experiments?

The main benefit of using an evacuated chamber in fluid experiments is the ability to remove the influence of air on the behavior of fluids. This allows for more accurate and precise results, as well as the study of fluids in conditions that are not possible in an open environment.

Are there any limitations to using evacuated chambers in fluid science?

One limitation of using evacuated chambers is the potential for leakage, which can introduce air into the chamber and affect the results. Additionally, the cost and technical expertise required to operate and maintain an evacuated chamber can be a barrier for some researchers.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with evacuated chambers?

It is important to follow all safety protocols when working with evacuated chambers, as they can be dangerous if mishandled. This includes wearing protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and being aware of potential hazards, such as implosions or explosions due to pressure differentials.