Electric potential & isosceles triangle

In summary, using the principle of superposition, the electric potential at the midpoint of the base of an isosceles triangle with three charges located at the vertices (a positive charge of 5.7 x 10^-9 C at the top and two negative charges of 5.4 x 10^-9 C at the bottom) and lengths of 7.1 cm and 1.3 cm for the sides, can be calculated by finding the length from the charge to the midpoint (.0065 m) and the length of the other side when the triangle is cut in half (.0707 m). Plugging these values into the formula V= 9 x 10^9 [(5.7 x 10^-
Punchlinegirl
Three charges are located at the vertices of an isosceles triangle. A positive charge, of 5.7 x 10^-9 C is located at the top, and two negative charges each of 5.4 x 10^-9 C are located at the bottom. The lengths of the 2 sides are 7.1 cm and the length of the base is 1.3 cm. Calculate the electric potential at the midpoint of the base. Answer in units of V.
I used the principle of superposition. I found that the length from the charge to the midpoint was .0065 m and the length of the other side when the triangle was cut in half was .0707 m.
So V= 9 x 10^9 [ (5.7 x 10^-9/.0707) + (5.4 x 10^-9 /.0065) + (5.4 x 10^-9/.0065)
So V= 1.57 x 10^4, but this isn't right... can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your arithmetic, but did you forget that the charges have different signs?

Yes I did.. thanks a lot!

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is the amount of potential energy that an electric charge possesses at a certain point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the work done in bringing a unit positive charge from infinity to a specific point in an electric field, by that unit charge. This is represented by the equation V = W/Q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done, and Q is the charge.

3. What is an isosceles triangle?

An isosceles triangle is a geometric shape that has two sides of equal length and two equal angles. The third side, known as the base, can be of a different length.

4. How is an isosceles triangle related to electric potential?

In the context of electric potential, an isosceles triangle can represent the equipotential lines in an electric field. This means that points along these lines have the same electric potential.

5. How does the concept of electric potential apply to an isosceles triangle?

In an isosceles triangle, the two equal sides represent the same electric potential, while the base represents a different electric potential. This can be visualized by imagining an electric charge placed at the base of the triangle, which would experience the same force from both sides, resulting in an equilibrium. This is known as the principle of superposition.