Understanding Analog Meters: How to Read and Interpret Measurements

In summary, to read an analog meter, you need to first identify the type of meter you have, which typically has a round dial with a clockwise-moving needle. The numbers on the dial represent the units being measured, and you simply need to read the number that the needle is pointing to. If the needle falls between two numbers, read the lower number. The numbers on the dial represent the units being measured, such as kilowatt-hours for electricity. Analog meters are generally accurate within a range of 2-3%, but should be checked and calibrated periodically by the utility company to ensure accuracy.
Noone1982
Sorry, this sounds like a silly but I grew up in the age of auto-ranging multimeters.

Say you have a scale, 1 to 10 and you select your scale as 1 miliamp. I presume if the needle is at 7 then that means 7 miliamps and NOT (7/10) 0.7 miliamps?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, it means .7 milliamps. The range is the top of the scale.

Oh, I guess it's not like an oscilloscope when you set it to say .5 V/div and just mulitply the number of divisions to get the voltage. Silly me.

1. How do I read an analog meter?

To read an analog meter, first identify the type of meter you have. Most analog meters have a round dial with a needle that moves clockwise. The numbers on the dial represent the units being measured (e.g. kilowatt-hours for electricity). Simply read the number that the needle is pointing to, and make note of the units.

2. How do I know which way the needle is moving?

The needle on an analog meter always moves clockwise. If the needle is moving counterclockwise, this may indicate an issue with the meter and you should contact your utility company.

3. What if the needle falls between two numbers?

If the needle falls between two numbers, read the lower number. Some meters also have smaller lines between the numbers, which can help you determine the exact reading.

4. What do the numbers on the dial represent?

The numbers on the dial of an analog meter represent the units being measured. For electricity, the numbers usually represent kilowatt-hours, while for gas or water, they may represent cubic feet or gallons.

5. How accurate is an analog meter?

Analog meters are generally accurate within a range of 2-3%. However, over time they can become less accurate due to wear and tear. It is important to have your meter checked and calibrated periodically by your utility company to ensure accurate readings.