How to Determine the Best Interpolation in Newton Forward Difference Method?

In summary, in Newton forward difference method, the best interpolation can be determined by constructing a table and finding the point where the values in a certain column are the same or of desired accuracy. The definition of "best" can vary, but some possible criteria include minimizing the sum of differences between the interpolated values and the actual values, minimizing the maximum difference, or minimizing the square root of the integral of the squared differences.
angel23
in Newton forward differece method.
how can i know that i reached the best interpolation?

for example in a function like sqrt(x) for Xi=1,1.05,1.10,1.15,1.20,1.25,1.3

the best interpolation is at P3(x) why?how can i know?
this really makes me conused:confused: :confused:

if anyone helped me i will be grateful

Physics news on Phys.org
in Newton forward differece method.

Asalam o Alikum

Mr ,
Value of f(x) at that point define you where the best interpolation between the point is exsist

simply you construct the table and you will find for this example that after certain iteration the numbers in a certain column will be the same or of accuracy better than that required by the question. this is when you stop . .

What do you mean by "best"? There exist an infinite number of, say, cubic polynomials that interpolate the points you give. One possible definition of "best" is that [itex]\Sigma |f(x_i)- y_i|[/itex] be a minimum. Another is [itex]Max |f(x_i)- y_i|[/itex] be a minimum and yet another is that [itex]\sqrt{\int (f(x_i)- y_i)^2 dx}[/itex] be a minimum. Each of those has applications.

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean by "best"? There exist an infinite number of, say, cubic polynomials that interpolate the points you give. One possible definition of "best" is that [itex]\Sigma |f(x_i)- y_i|[/itex] be a minimum. Another is [itex]Max |f(x_i)- y_i|[/itex] be a minimum and yet another is that [itex]\sqrt{\int (f(x_i)- y_i)^2 dx}[/itex] be a minimum. Each of those has applications.

Very true sir, I was just going to mention the same.

:) it is too late, sir i got my answer once i posted the question.(it is too late all)

any way thanks.

1. What is numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding approximate solutions to mathematical problems using computational methods. It involves developing algorithms and techniques to solve problems that are too complex or large to be solved by hand.

2. Why is numerical analysis important?

Numerical analysis is important because it allows us to solve problems that cannot be solved analytically. It is used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. It also helps us to understand the limitations of numerical methods and improve their accuracy and efficiency.

3. What are some common applications of numerical analysis?

Numerical analysis is used in many areas, such as solving differential equations, optimization problems, and computing integrals and derivatives. It is also used in data analysis and scientific computing, such as in weather forecasting, image processing, and financial modeling.

4. What are the main challenges in numerical analysis?

One of the main challenges in numerical analysis is balancing accuracy and computational efficiency. Another challenge is dealing with errors, such as round-off error and truncation error, that can occur when using numerical methods. It is also important to choose the most appropriate method for a given problem, as different problems may require different approaches.

5. How does numerical analysis differ from other branches of mathematics?

Numerical analysis is distinct from other branches of mathematics, such as algebra or geometry, in that it focuses on finding approximate solutions rather than exact solutions. It also involves the use of computers and algorithms to solve problems, rather than using purely analytical methods. Additionally, numerical analysis often deals with problems that are too complex or large to be solved using traditional analytical methods.