Resistivity coursework (HELP)

In summary, resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current, represented by the symbol ρ and measured in ohm-meters. It is calculated by dividing resistance by cross-sectional area and length. Factors such as temperature, impurities, and composition affect resistivity, which is inversely related to conductivity. Resistivity is important in practical applications, including electrical devices, power transmission, and material selection.
JoneS
Ok, the coursework i have been give is on the Resistivity of conducting putty. I know that Resistivity is the relationship between resistance, length and cross sectional area.
But what do i do?

Do i just get different lengths and thicknesses of a metal and find the resistance. Then work out the resistivity?

Help I'm confused.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Resistance (ohms)= Resistivity(ohmmetres) x Length (metres)
Cross sectional area (metres squared)

just rearrange the equation to find resistivity

Hi there,

I understand that you are feeling confused about your resistivity coursework. Let me try to break it down for you.

Firstly, resistivity is a measure of how well a material resists the flow of electricity. It is affected by the length and cross-sectional area of the material, as well as its composition.

To complete your coursework, you will need to conduct an experiment to measure the resistivity of the conducting putty. This can be done by varying the length and cross-sectional area of the putty and measuring the resistance.

Here are some steps that may help you:

1. Set up a circuit with a power supply, ammeter, voltmeter, and the conducting putty.

2. Measure the length and cross-sectional area of the putty using a ruler or caliper.

3. Place the putty in the circuit and record the voltage and current readings on the voltmeter and ammeter, respectively.

4. Repeat this process for different lengths and cross-sectional areas of the putty.

5. Use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance for each trial.

6. Plot a graph of resistance against length and another one for resistance against cross-sectional area.

7. The slope of these graphs represents the resistivity of the conducting putty.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. If you still have any doubts, don't hesitate to reach out to your teacher or classmates for assistance. Good luck with your coursework!

What is resistivity?

Resistivity, also known as electrical resistivity, is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω⋅m).

How is resistivity calculated?

Resistivity is calculated by dividing the resistance of a material by its cross-sectional area and length. The formula for resistivity is ρ = R x A / L, where ρ is resistivity, R is resistance, A is cross-sectional area, and L is length.

What factors affect resistivity?

The resistivity of a material is affected by several factors, including temperature, the type and concentration of impurities, and the material's composition and structure.

How is resistivity related to conductivity?

Resistivity and conductivity are inversely related. The higher the resistivity of a material, the lower its conductivity, and vice versa. Conductivity is the reciprocal of resistivity and is measured in siemens per meter (S/m).

What is the significance of resistivity in practical applications?

Resistivity is an important property in various practical applications, such as in electrical and electronic devices, power transmission, and materials used for heating. It also plays a crucial role in determining the suitability of a material for a specific purpose.