Zinc in Coordination Compounds: Charge & Roman Numerals

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metals
In summary, when writing out compound names involving a coordination metal, the charge of the coordination metal must be stated in Roman Numerals. If not specified, a charge of +1 is assumed. However, in the case of zinc, the +2 charge is more common and may be left unspecified. Zinc typically loses 2 electrons in its outer 4S shell.
pivoxa15
I thought that as a general rule when writing out compound names (in full) involving a coordination metal, the charge of the coord metal must be stated in Roman Numerals. If nothing is specified than a charge of +1 is assumed.

But I came across a compound involving zinc written zinc... without any roman numeral so I assumed it had +1 charge when bound within the compound. But it turned out to have +2 charge. Why don't they specify it by writing zinc(II)... ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
I thought that as a general rule when writing out compound names (in full) involving a coordination metal, the charge of the coord metal must be stated in Roman Numerals. If nothing is specified than a charge of +1 is assumed.
Where did you get that last bit from? From what I recall, the oxidation state may be left unspecified if the metal is in its most common oxidation state. For Zinc, the +2 oxidation state is most common.

Good point, I think I made it up. Zinc likes to lose 2 electrons in its outer 4S shell doesn't it.

Yes, that's right.

Last edited:

1. What is the role of zinc in coordination compounds?

Zinc is a transition metal that is commonly found in coordination compounds. It plays a key role in stabilizing the structure of the compound and influencing its properties.

2. How does zinc form coordination compounds?

Zinc can form coordination compounds by donating electrons from its outer shell to ligands, which are molecules or ions that surround and bond to the central metal ion.

3. What is the charge of zinc in coordination compounds?

Zinc typically has a charge of +2 in coordination compounds. This is because it is a group 2 element and loses two electrons to achieve a stable octet configuration.

4. Why are Roman numerals used in the naming of coordination compounds containing zinc?

Roman numerals are used to indicate the oxidation state of the central metal ion in coordination compounds. In the case of zinc, the +2 charge is represented by the Roman numeral II.

5. Can zinc have a different oxidation state in coordination compounds?

Yes, zinc can have a different oxidation state in coordination compounds, but it is uncommon. It can form compounds with a +1 oxidation state, but these are less stable and less commonly studied.