Input work & Mechanical advantage.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of input work and mechanical advantage in a pulley system used to raise a 1200 N piano a distance of 5.00 m. The formula for input work is Wo=Wi, and the formula for mechanical advantage is MA=Fr/Fe. The individual in the conversation has calculated the output work to be 6.00*10^3, but is unsure of the resistance and effort forces. After further calculation, it is determined that the effort force is 340N and the resistance force is 1200N. This results in an input work of 6.80*10^3.
pebbles

Homework Statement

Stan raises a 1200 N piano a distance of 5.00 m with pulleys and pulls on 20 m of rope. What is input work and mechanical advantage?

Homework Equations

Wo=Wi
MA=Fr/Fe

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated output work as 1200N*5.00m=6.00*10^3 and my book says Wo=Wi; but the answer for input work is 6.80*10^3. I'm not sure what the resistance and effort forces would be. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
i figured out the work input; so the effort force=340N, which i was given in part b of the question. i just need help on the resistance force...

welp. nevermind. i got it. resistance force=1200N duuuh.

What is input work?

Input work refers to the amount of work or energy that is put into a system. It is often measured in units of Joules (J) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves.

What is mechanical advantage?

Mechanical advantage is a measure of the effectiveness of a machine in multiplying the force or distance applied to it. It is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force.

How is mechanical advantage related to input work?

Mechanical advantage is related to input work because it is a measure of how much more work can be done with the help of a machine. A machine with a high mechanical advantage allows for less input work to produce a greater output work.

What are some examples of input work?

Examples of input work include pushing a car up a hill, lifting a box off the ground, and pedaling a bike. In each of these cases, energy is being put into the system to produce work.

How can input work and mechanical advantage be calculated?

Input work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves. Mechanical advantage can be calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. Both of these calculations require knowledge of the input and output forces and distances.