Calculate Magnitude of Torque for Flywheel

In summary, a massive spinning flywheel with a diameter of 1.10 m and a mass of 510 kg can store energy and be accelerated from rest to 4.00 x 103 rev/min in 2.85 min with a constant tangential force of magnitude F. To cause this angular acceleration, a magnitude of torque of 377.819 Nm is necessary, derived from the formula I = mR^2 and Tau = I*alpha. However, the answer was incorrect and the angular acceleration was calculated from part a.
sealedhuman77

Homework Statement

Massive spinning flywheels (disks) can be used for storing energy. Consider a flywheel with a diameter of 1.10 m and a mass of 510 kg. A constant force of magnitude F is applied tangentially to the rim of the flywheel to accelerate it from rest to 4.00 x 103 rev/min during 2.85 min.

(b) What magnitude of torque is necessary to cause this angular acceleration?

Homework Equations

I = mR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex] = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I = mR[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = (510kg)[tex]\ast[/tex](.55m)[tex]^{2}[/tex]
I = 154.275 kgm[tex]^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\tau[/tex] = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex] = (154.275kgm[tex]^{2}[/tex])\ast(2.449rad/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]
[tex]\tau[/tex] = 377.819 Nm

The answer was incorrect. Also the angular acceleration was derived from part a and is the correct number. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
the Tau and Alpha symbols are not suppose to be superscripts. i screwed up the tex

Based on the given information, the torque required to cause the given angular acceleration can be calculated as follows:

First, we need to convert the given angular velocity from rev/min to rad/s:
4.00 x 103 rev/min = (4.00 x 103 rev/min) x (1 min/60 sec) x (2π rad/1 rev) = 418.88 rad/s

Now, using the equation τ = Iα, we can calculate the torque:
τ = Iα = (154.275 kgm2) x (418.88 rad/s2) = 64,584.6 Nm

Therefore, the magnitude of torque necessary to cause the given angular acceleration is 64,584.6 Nm.

1. How do you calculate the magnitude of torque for a flywheel?

To calculate the magnitude of torque for a flywheel, you need to know the mass of the flywheel, its radius, and the angular acceleration. The formula for torque is T = I * α, where T is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. To find the moment of inertia, use the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. Once you have all these values, plug them into the formula to calculate the magnitude of torque.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the magnitude of torque for a flywheel?

The magnitude of torque for a flywheel is important because it tells us how much rotational force is being applied to the flywheel. This information is essential for understanding the performance and stability of a flywheel in a system or machine. It also helps in designing and optimizing the flywheel for specific applications.

3. How does the magnitude of torque affect the flywheel's performance?

The magnitude of torque directly affects the rotational speed and acceleration of a flywheel. A higher magnitude of torque will result in a faster rotational speed and acceleration, while a lower magnitude of torque will result in slower speed and acceleration. Additionally, the magnitude of torque also influences the flywheel's ability to store and release energy, which is crucial in many applications.

4. Are there any units for measuring the magnitude of torque?

Yes, the SI unit for torque is Newton-meters (N·m). However, other units such as pound-feet (lb·ft) or kilogram-force meters (kgf·m) are also commonly used. It is essential to use consistent units when calculating and comparing the magnitude of torque.

5. Can the magnitude of torque for a flywheel be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of torque can be negative if the direction of the torque is opposite to the direction of rotation. This means that the rotational force is acting in the opposite direction, which will result in a decrease in the flywheel's speed and acceleration. It is crucial to consider the sign of torque when analyzing the performance of a flywheel in a system.