Remove 1170 KHz AM radio station from microphones

• Thread starter getcwd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Khz Radio
In summary: RF interference.Hi. I work for a security company and we currently have a challenge. We have 8 microphones that are installed with a Louroe Verifact-E audio interface and we are having a problem with the radio station KCBQ 1170 AM. The radio station transmits at 50,000 watts daytime and 2,900 watts nighttime. The problem is that the radio station comes in more than any sounds in the environment and the low pass filter that we have applied to the 8 microphones only removes most of the static. Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.
getcwd
Hi. I work for a security company and we currently have a challenge.

How do I remove a 1170 KHz AM radio station from my 8 microphones that are installed with 2 Conductor shielded, 22 gauge with a 24 gauge drain wire with lengths ranging from 15 - 250 feet from my server room?

The radio station is KCBQ 1170 AM located 5 miles away and transmits at 50,000 watts daytime; 2,900 watts nighttime:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KCBQ

I have 8 Louroe Verifact-E microphones:

http://www.louroe.com/mics.asp?model=emic

The microphones are connected to a Louroe IF-8 Audio Interface Adapter:

http://www.louroe.com/audiointerface.asp?model=if8

The adapter outputs are plugged into an 8 channel PCI audio card for my PC based video surveillance system.

I built a simple low pass filter using an LM324 op-amp, 2 resistors, and a capacitor that only cleared up one of the microphones that is only 15 feet from the server room.

My low-pass filter is similar to this image:

http://www.roboticsindia.com/public/images/op/lowpass.png

When the low pass filter is applied to the 15 ft distance microphone the static is removed and it works properly. The low pass filter applied to the other microphones removes most of the static although the radio station comes in more than any sounds in the environment.

I heard that the LM324 only operates up to 1 MHz and the frequency I need to remove is 1.17 MHz AM. Do I just need to use a higher frequency op-amp for an effective low-pass filter? What type of filter setup do you recommend?

I have been working to solve this challenge for over 6 months. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
How are you terminating the shield at the microphones and at the main accumulator/amp module? Are the microphones being powered by the same twisted pair that is carrying the audio back to the main amp module, or do they get their power locally from the AC Mains at each microphone location?

We ground the microphone cable at the server room and have tried grounding at a microphone end also with no noticable improvement. The cable has a foil wrapped red and black wire with a bare ground wire outside of the foil wrapped pair of wires all within a main insulation jacket. The wire is straight and not twisted pair. It has both power on the red wire (12 VDC) and microphone signal on the black wire and they are foil wrapped together.

getcwd said:
We ground the microphone cable at the server room and have tried grounding at a microphone end also with no noticable improvement. The cable has a foil wrapped red and black wire with a bare ground wire outside of the foil wrapped pair of wires all within a main insulation jacket. The wire is straight and not twisted pair. It has both power on the red wire (12 VDC) and microphone signal on the black wire and they are foil wrapped together.

I'm not quite understanding the grounding thing. Is the shield & drain wire used as power ground for the microphones? With the red wire 12Vdc and the black wire the microphone return signal? That could be part of the problem if I'm understanding that correctly. You want the shield to be separate from the microphone ground. Can you try 3-conductor shielded cable, where there are 3 wires (12Vdc, uPhone GND, uPhone signal) inside the shielded cable? Ground the shield at the amp end, and terminate the shield to Earth ground at the microphone end in about 150 Ohms (or whatever the common-mode Zo is from the shield to Earth ground for most of the run of cable). If you are using the shield for the power return, then yes, the RF signal from the AM station will induce ground currents that will add into your uPhone signal...

1. How can removing 1170 KHz AM radio station from microphones improve audio quality?

Removing 1170 KHz AM radio station from microphones can improve audio quality by eliminating interference from the radio waves. This can result in clearer and more accurate sound recordings.

2. What causes the interference from 1170 KHz AM radio station in microphones?

The interference from 1170 KHz AM radio station in microphones is caused by the overlapping frequencies between the radio waves and the microphone's audio signals. This can create a buzzing or humming noise in the recordings.

3. Can using a different microphone frequency help avoid interference from 1170 KHz AM radio station?

Yes, using a different microphone frequency, such as a higher frequency or a different band, can help avoid interference from 1170 KHz AM radio station. This is because the radio waves at 1170 KHz will not be picked up by the microphone at a different frequency.

4. Are there any other methods to remove 1170 KHz AM radio station interference from microphones?

There are a few other methods that can be used to remove 1170 KHz AM radio station interference from microphones. These include using a noise-cancelling microphone, using a filter or shield to block the radio waves, or physically moving the microphone away from the source of the interference.

5. Is it possible to completely remove all interference from 1170 KHz AM radio station in microphones?

While it may not be possible to completely remove all interference from 1170 KHz AM radio station in microphones, using a combination of different methods can greatly reduce the interference and improve audio quality. It is important to experiment and find the best solution for your specific recording setup.