Question about water weight and pressure

In summary, the given information states that a circular wine barrel with a diameter of 75 cm will burst if the net upward force on the top of the barrel is 643 N. To determine the weight of water needed to burst the barrel, the pressure vs force equation is used to relate the force on the top of the barrel to the pressure of water in the tube. The area of the tube and the barrel are needed to solve for the force and the weight of water needed. In this case, the atmospheric pressure is not considered.
lyndan
So the question asks:

A circular wine barrel 75 cm in diameter will burst if the net upward force exerted on the top of the barrel is 643 N. A tube 1.0 cm in diameter extends into the barrel through a hole in the top. Initially the barrel is filled to the top and the tube is empty above that level. What weight of water must be poured into the tube to burst the barrel?

I understand that the initially pressure in the tube is Patm before any water has been poured into it and that that pressure will later become P = Patm + Pwater(g)(h) but I can't seem to figure out how to answer the question.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Moved to homework help...

Use the pressure vs force equation: p=f/a to relate the force on the top of the barrel to the pressure of water in the tube.

I never done anything with pressures so I might be wrong, but this is what I did:

Area of small tube = 7.85e-5m^2
Area of barrel = 0.446^2

P1=F1/7.85e-5m

F2=643N=P1(0.446m^2)
So P1= 1441 Pa

Then I solved for F1, getting 0.113N which divided by 9.8 gives .0115Kg of water.
I omitted the atmospheric pressure because I have no clue how to use it.

And again, first time I even see the formula for Pressure so I'm possibly wrong (my final answer is pretty weird to be real).

Last edited:
i tried to relate those formulas but i don't know what i am supposed to use as a value for A

lyndan said:
i tried to relate those formulas but i don't know what i am supposed to use as a value for A

Hi lyndan! :smile:

You've probably worked this out by now,

but in case you haven't, you'll need to use A twice …

once for the cross-section area of the tube, and once for the cross-section area of the barrel. :wink:

1. How does water weight affect pressure?

The weight of water exerts a downward force on any surface it comes into contact with, creating pressure. The more water there is, the greater the weight and pressure.

2. How is water pressure measured?

Water pressure is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). It can be measured using a pressure gauge or by using a formula that takes into account the depth and density of the water.

3. What is the relationship between water depth and pressure?

The deeper the water, the greater the pressure. This is because the weight of the water above increases as depth increases, resulting in a higher pressure at lower depths.

4. How does water pressure change with altitude?

As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases, causing a decrease in water pressure. This is because there is less air pushing down on the water, resulting in a decrease in the weight and therefore pressure of the water.

5. What are the effects of water pressure on living organisms?

High water pressure can have negative effects on living organisms, such as causing barotrauma or decompression sickness. However, many organisms have adapted to thrive in high pressure environments, such as deep sea creatures.