Potential Energy in a capacitor

In summary, the energy stored in a parallel-plate vacuum capacitor with 8.28 J of energy and a plate separation of 2.30 mm will change when the separation is decreased to 1.00 mm. The potential energy of the capacitor does not change when it is disconnected from the voltage source, but changes when the separation between the plates is changed. The capacitance can be expressed as C=k/d, where k is a constant and d is the plate separation. The constant k may cancel out in the solution.
physstudent1
A parallel-plate vacuum capacitor has 8.28 J of energy stored in it. The separation between the plates is 2.30 mm. If the separation is decreased to 1.00mm. What is the energy now stored if the capacitor was disconnected from the potential source before the separation of the plates was changed?

I really don't know what to do I know that U=Q^2 / 2C = .5*C*V^2 = .5*Q*V I read through the entire chapter but I don't see anything about how the potential energy changes when the capacitor is disconnected from the potential source can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
well i don't know any equations but think of the energy as being stored in the electric field of the capacitor. the energy of each infinitesimal volume of field is proportional to the square of the field strength.

ah I think this will help me a lot I'll try tomorrow I'm way to tired right now thanks a lot.

physstudent1 said:
A parallel-plate vacuum capacitor has 8.28 J of energy stored in it. The separation between the plates is 2.30 mm. If the separation is decreased to 1.00mm. What is the energy now stored if the capacitor was disconnected from the potential source before the separation of the plates was changed?

I really don't know what to do I know that U=Q^2 / 2C = .5*C*V^2 = .5*Q*V I read through the entire chapter but I don't see anything about how the potential energy changes when the capacitor is disconnected from the potential source can anyone help?

The potential energy doesn't change when the capacitor is disconnected from the voltage source.

The potential energy changes when the separation between the capacitor plates is changed.
Express the capacitance as a function of d, the plate separation.

Is it C = kA/d?

We don't know immediately what's going to happen to the voltage; so use the equation without voltage in it. Use the equation with Q. We do know that the charge, Q on each plate is going to stay constant.

We don't know the area of the capacitor, so lump it into the unknown constant k; C=k/d. We hope the constant will cancel out in the solution (it will).

Last edited:
I thought that the potential energy wouldn't change when the capacitor was disconnected from the voltage source but when I put 8.28J for my answer it was wrong?

ok I understand it now thanks a lot I was interpreting the question wrong. The equation should be C=A/d but i think it might have worked your way anyway (K is for dielectrics )

What is potential energy in a capacitor?

Potential energy in a capacitor refers to the stored electrical energy that exists between two conducting plates separated by an insulating material. It is created when the capacitor is charged and is a form of potential energy that can be released to do work.

How is potential energy calculated in a capacitor?

Potential energy in a capacitor can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 * CV^2, where PE is the potential energy, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and V is the potential difference or voltage between the plates.

What factors affect the potential energy in a capacitor?

The potential energy in a capacitor is affected by the capacitance, voltage, and distance between the plates. A higher capacitance or voltage will result in a greater potential energy, while a greater distance between the plates will decrease the potential energy.

How is potential energy released from a capacitor?

Potential energy in a capacitor can be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit and the stored energy is converted into electrical current. This can happen when the capacitor is discharged or when it is connected to other components in a circuit.

What are some real-life applications of potential energy in capacitors?

Potential energy in capacitors is used in various electronic devices, such as computers, cameras, and mobile phones. It is also used in power systems for storing and releasing energy, such as in electric cars and renewable energy sources like solar panels.