Magnetic Field of Magnetic Dipole Moment

In summary: The first equation is a scalar equation, while the second equation is a vector equation.In summary, the author is looking for help with a calculation found in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics chapter 5. The magnetic field of a localised current distribution is given by \vec{A}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{\vec{m}\times\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}and the magnetic induction is given by \vec{B}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \left[\frac{3\vec{n}\
Morto
I'm seeking some clarification on a topic found in Jackson 'Classical Electrodynamics' Chapter 5. This deals with the magnetic field of a localised current distribution, where the magnetic vector potential is given by
[tex]\vec{A}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{\vec{m}\times\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}[/tex]

and the magnetic induction [tex]\vec{B}[/tex] is the curl of this [tex]\vec{B} = \nabla \times \vec{A}[/tex].
I know that the end result should be
[tex]\vec{B}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \left[\frac{3\vec{n}\left(\vec{n}\cdot\vec{m} - \vec{m}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right][/tex]
Where [tex]\vec{n}[/tex] is the unit vector in the direction of [tex]\vec{x}[/tex]
But I'm struggling to do this calculation for myself.

I know that
[tex]\vec{B}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \left(\nabla \times \left(\frac{\vec{m}\times\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right)\right) \\
= \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\left(\vec{m}\left(\nabla\cdot\frac{\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right) - \frac{\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\left(\nabla\cdot \vec{m}\right)\right)[/tex]

How does Jackson end up at the result quoted?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second term is wrong. It should be
[tex]-({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right][/tex].

Hi

I'm new to this forum! Googleing for the questioned problem I found this forum. Having the same problem as the author of this thread, I want to ask if someone has a solution on how Jackson found the formula for [tex]\vec{B}[/tex]?

I tried my luck with the product rule [tex]\nabla\times(\vec{A}\times\vec{B})=(\vec{B}\cdot\nabla)\vec{A}-(\vec{A}\cdot\nabla)\vec{B}+\vec{A}(\nabla\cdot\vec{B})-\vec{B}(\nabla\cdot\vec{A})[/tex] but came to no conclusion.

kind regards,
derivator

(sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue)

Last edited:
As I said in my post, the curl of the cross product should be
[tex]\vec{B}(\vec{x}) = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \left(\nabla \times \left(\frac{\vec{m}\times\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right)\right) \\
= \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\left(\vec{m}\left(\nabla\cdot\frac{\vec{x}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right) - ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right][/tex].
This follows because m is a constant so only two terms of your four enter.
Given this result, the first term is a delta function is not needed if r>0.
The second term gives the result in the first post if the delta function singularity at the origin is again ignored.
Jackson is a bit obscure on this.

Hi,
thanks for your answer.

Could you get a bit more detailed on how to show that

[tex]- ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right]=\left[\frac{3\vec{n}\left(\vec{n}\cdot\vec{m}\right) - \vec{m}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right][/tex]

is correct?

You really need a better textbook.
Sorry I can't seem to find my latex error below. If hyou can read or correct it, it should show you what to do.
- ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right]=
-{\vec x} ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\frac{1}{|{\vec x}|^3}
-\frac{1}{|{\vec x}|^3} ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla){\vec x}

Last edited by a moderator:
The point is that the m.del acts on only one function at a time.

[tex]
- (\vec{m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec{x}}{|\vec {x}|^3}\right]=
-{\vec x} ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\frac{1}{|{\vec x}|^3}
-\frac{1}{|{\vec x}|^3} ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla){\vec x}
[/tex]

Derivator said:
Hi,
thanks for your answer.

Could you get a bit more detailed on how to show that

[tex]- ({\vec m}\cdot\nabla)\left[\frac{\vec x}{|{\vec x}|^3}\right]=\left[\frac{3\vec{n}\left(\vec{n}\cdot\vec{m}\right) - \vec{m}}{\left|\vec{x}\right|^3}\right][/tex]

is correct?

[tex]\nabla\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}=\left(\nabla\frac{1}{r^{3}}\right)\vec{r}+\frac{\nabla\vec{r}}{r^{3}}=-\frac{3\vec{r}\vec{r}}{r^{5}}+\frac{\mathbf{I}}{r^{3}}[/tex]

[tex]\vec{m}\cdot\nabla\frac{\vec{r}}{r^{3}}=\vec{m}\cdot\left(-\frac{3\vec{r}\vec{r}}{r^{5}}+\frac{\mathbf{I}}{r^{3}}\right)=-\frac{3(\vec{m}\cdot\vec{r})\vec{r}}{r^{5}}+\frac{\vec{m}}{r^{3}}[/tex]

I is the unit tensor.

What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic dipole, which is a magnetic field created by two equal and opposite poles. It is represented by a vector and is a fundamental property of a magnetic object.

How is the magnetic dipole moment calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic poles by the distance between them. It can also be calculated by multiplying the current flowing through a loop of wire by the area of the loop.

What is the relationship between magnetic field and magnetic dipole moment?

The magnetic field created by a magnetic dipole moment is directly proportional to the strength of the dipole moment. This means that as the dipole moment increases, so does the strength of the magnetic field.

What are some real-life applications of the magnetic dipole moment?

The magnetic dipole moment has many practical applications, such as in compasses, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, to create detailed images of the body's internal structures.

How does the magnetic dipole moment affect the behavior of particles?

The magnetic dipole moment can influence the movement of charged particles in a magnetic field. Particles with a magnetic dipole moment will experience a torque when placed in a magnetic field, causing them to align with the field's direction. This is the principle behind the operation of devices like particle accelerators and mass spectrometers.