Little help deciding which engineering discipline could most help me

• Thread starter Coletrain12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: I am thinking about doing some kind of computer engineering or computer science so that i can model space stuff and stuff like that.Would either of those concentrations help me after getting my bachelors?Well an astronaut would be nice but I am not really holding my breath on that one lol. But basically i haven't fully decided... I am thinking about doing some kind of computer engineering or computer science so that i can model space stuff and stuff like that.Would either of those concentrations help me after getting my bachelors?Yes, both concentrations would help you after getting your bachelors. Yes, both concentrations would help you after getting your bachelors.
Coletrain12
Hey guys, I am a Sophmore Engineering Physics student and kinda have a decision to make. Basically after i get my bachelors i want to go to grad school in something to do with space.. rather it be Astrophysics, Astronomy, Planetary sciences.. etc.

I already plan on having a minor in Astronomy so that's no problem, but this next semester is where my major allows me some freedom in choosing some engineering elective classes i want to take(i have to take 12hrs of eng electives). I have talked with some people and originally thought i would do some Aerospace eng because it interested me but have recently discovered that the prerequisites are crazy and that it would be too much trouble and time to get to take the classes in that subject.

So basically my question is, if anyone has any experience in this field of work what concentration of engineering would most likely help me after i get my bachelors (so it would help me get into grad school and just work after school period). I thought maybe some kinda computer eng or something to help with knowing code and all that for astrophysics(modeling supernova explosions and stuff like that), but I am not sure. Also with only 3 classes so 9hrs outta my electives i can have a Minor in Materials Sciences and Engineering, would that be worth it? would it really even apply to anything? Other than that any eng electives i take won't get me a minor but...

What would you guys prescribe for a guy with my interests in space and freedom to take any engineering concentration classes.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one have any suggestions? just looking for someone who may have some insight to what skills are needed in the fields I am interested in.

Why are you taking engineering if you plan to study astrophysics or some derivative in grad school? I would have thought you would need to study physics in order to do that.

I am taking physics.. I am an Engineering physics major.. I take all required classes for a physics major and i will be plenty qualified for grad school in astrophysics.

I just have the opportunity to take some engineering electives with my major and were wondering which discipline of engineering would benefit me most in my interest fields (space related fields.)

Coletrain12 said:
I am taking physics.. I am an Engineering physics major.. I take all required classes for a physics major and i will be plenty qualified for grad school in astrophysics.

Ok, so you take all required classes for a physics major, but on applying to grad school you will be up against students who have taken more in depth physics classes in place of your engineering classes.

cristo said:
Ok, so you take all required classes for a physics major, but on applying to grad school you will be up against students who have taken more in depth physics classes in place of your engineering classes.

No.. because i take all of the physics major classes plus engineering classes... basically kinda a double major. I am really just looking for some advice about those engineering classes and what would maybe benefit me most in space related fields.

What exactly is it that you want to do? Build spaceships or be an astronaut? There is no degree in "space" or any degree that will guarantee you a position in "space". You could get a degree in aerospace and work for NASA but the same could be done with a ME, EE, CE, CS, etc. If you just want to work on space related projects then get what ever degree you want just make sure its a field that you enjoy. Almost all of my professors, this includes MEs, EEs, CEs, Mathematicians, have worked for NASA at one point in time on space related projects. They all said they couldn't stand it, but that's a story for another day.

Topher925 said:
What exactly is it that you want to do? Build spaceships or be an astronaut? There is no degree in "space" or any degree that will guarantee you a position in "space". You could get a degree in aerospace and work for NASA but the same could be done with a ME, EE, CE, CS, etc. If you just want to work on space related projects then get what ever degree you want just make sure its a field that you enjoy. Almost all of my professors, this includes MEs, EEs, CEs, Mathematicians, have worked for NASA at one point in time on space related projects. They all said they couldn't stand it, but that's a story for another day.

Well an astronaut would be nice but I am not really holding my breath on that one lol. But basically i haven't fully decided what i want to do.. which is making the decision even more difficult. I know i want to do some kinda of work that puts me in "space" things. I have most interest in Astrophysics and Planetary Sciences. I suppose i could go to grad school in some kinda of engineering but if i did it would be Aerospace, no other eng field really interests me enough to get a degree in it.

I have to take some a certain number of Engineering electives i just need to pick which field they are in.. Like i said before i would have done aerospace but the prerequisites are ridiculous and i would have to go to school for another year just to take my elective classes(and wouldn't even get a minor in it). So basically its down to Materials and Sciences engineering and some kind of computer science/engineering and electrical engineering, because none of the other fields interest me that much and have the same problem as the aerospace did.

I know that you can work for NASA with about any degree and I've had a few professors who worked for NASA and said they loved it.. but i guess different strokes for different folks. If i worked for NASA that would be great but that is not my ultimate goal. I guess you could say i just want to do research in a space related field... and I've even thought about teaching in college which also interests me.

So, what did you choose?

Im still doing the Engineering Physics thing...

Gonna take Computer Science courses for my Engineering Electives, any kind of science research needs computer science skills.. and if i do not go to grad school i believe the computer science skills would make me more useable to many other employers.

1. What are the differences between the various engineering disciplines?

The main differences between engineering disciplines are the focus of study and the types of problems that engineers in that field are trained to solve. For example, mechanical engineers typically work with machines and systems, while civil engineers focus on building structures and infrastructure. It's important to research each discipline to determine which aligns best with your interests and skills.

2. How do I decide which engineering discipline is best for me?

The best way to decide which engineering discipline is right for you is to explore your interests and strengths. Consider what subjects you enjoy studying and what types of problems you excel at solving. You can also talk to professionals in different engineering fields or take introductory courses to get a better understanding of each discipline.

3. What are the job prospects for different engineering disciplines?

The job prospects for different engineering disciplines vary depending on the current demand and industry trends. Some disciplines, such as computer engineering and environmental engineering, are currently experiencing high demand, while others, like petroleum engineering, may have a lower demand. It's important to research the job market and consider your long-term career goals when choosing a discipline.

4. Can I switch engineering disciplines after starting my degree?

It is possible to switch engineering disciplines after starting your degree, but it may require additional time and coursework. Some engineering programs offer a common first year, allowing students to explore different disciplines before specializing. It's important to consult with your academic advisor and make a well-informed decision before committing to a specific discipline.

5. What skills are necessary for success in different engineering disciplines?

The skills necessary for success in different engineering disciplines may vary, but there are some common skills that are important for all engineers. These include problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, and teamwork. Additionally, specific disciplines may require knowledge of certain software or technical skills. It's important to continually develop and improve these skills throughout your education and career.