Number of Elements in Basis Sets for V: Prove It!

• Thread starter FourierX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis Sets
In summary, the proof for any two basis sets for V having the same number of elements is not as obvious as it seems, especially when V is finite dimensional. It involves showing that the smallest spanning set is also independent and that no set of independent vectors can have more members than the smallest spanning set.
FourierX

Homework Statement

Prove:

Any two basis sets for V have the same number of elements.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sounds obvious but is quite intricate to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it? I don't agree, at least if the dimension V is finite.

You confused me even more :(

He said he did not agree that the proof is quite intricate.

I know, it always confuses me when people don't agree with me, too.

A space is said to be finite dimensional if and only if there exist a finite spanning set. In that case, since the number of vectors in a spanning set is an integer, there must exist a smallest spanning set. Since a basis is a set of vectors that is both a spanning set and independent you need to prove:

1) The smallest spanning set is independent. (Show that if it were not a independent, you could remove one of the vectors and still have a spanning set, contradicting the fact that it is smallest.)

2) No set of independent vectors can have more members than the smallest spanning set. (Take a supposedly independent set with more vectors and rewrite each in terms of the smallest spanning set.)

1. What is the significance of the number of elements in basis sets for V?

The number of elements in basis sets for V is important because it determines the accuracy of calculations involving vanadium (V) atoms or molecules. A larger basis set with more elements allows for more accurate representation of the electron density and bonding in V-containing systems.

2. How is the number of elements in basis sets for V determined?

The number of elements in basis sets for V is typically determined by a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental data. Theoretical calculations use mathematical models to predict the behavior of electrons in V-containing systems, while experimental data provides validation for these models.

3. Does the number of elements in basis sets for V vary for different levels of theory?

Yes, the number of elements in basis sets for V can vary depending on the level of theory used in calculations. For example, a simpler level of theory may require fewer basis set elements, while a more advanced level of theory may require a larger number of elements for accurate results.

4. How do I know if the number of elements in a basis set for V is sufficient for my calculations?

The sufficiency of a basis set for V-containing systems can be determined by comparing the results of calculations using different basis sets of varying sizes. If the results converge to a certain value as the basis set size increases, then the basis set is likely sufficient for your calculations.

5. Can the number of elements in basis sets for V be optimized for specific systems?

Yes, the number of elements in basis sets for V can be optimized for specific systems by considering factors such as the size and complexity of the system, the desired accuracy of results, and the available computational resources. This optimization process helps to achieve the most efficient and accurate calculations for a particular V-containing system.