Calculating antenna directivity

• Thread starter JamesGoh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antenna
In summary: If we perform the integration of the sin^{2}(\theta) terms we should get\theta/2 - sin(2\theta)/4Applying the 0 <= \theta <= \pi limits, I got \pi/2 for the first integral. If we integrate the sin(\phi) term, we should get \pi/2 as well, making \pi^{2}/4 the actual answer for \int\intPn(\theta,\phi )d\phid\thetaSubstituting \pi^{2}/4 into the denomiator part of D, I get 16/\pi which obviously is not right
JamesGoh

Homework Statement

An antenna has a normalised E-filed pattern, En where [tex]\theta[/tex] = vertical angle as measured from z-axis and [tex]\phi[/tex] = azimuth angle measured from x-axis.
Calculate the exact directivity

En has a non-zero value whenever [tex]0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex] and [tex]0 <= \phi <= \pi[/tex]. Elsewhere, En is zero

The correct answer is 6 , but I cannot get this number

Homework Equations

[tex]En = sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]

Direcitivity is calculating using

[tex]D = 4\pi/ ( \int\intPn(\theta,\phi )d\phid\theta )[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, first of all [tex]Pn = En^{2}[/tex]

Therefore [tex]Pn = sin(\theta)^{2}sin(\phi)^{2}[/tex]

Now [tex]sin^{2}(\theta) = 0.5(1 - cos(2\theta))[/tex] with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex]

If we perform the integration of the [tex]sin^{2}(\theta)[/tex] terms we should get

[tex]\theta/2 - sin(2\theta)/4[/tex]

Applying the [tex]0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex] limits, I got [tex]\pi/2[/tex] for the first integral. If we integrate the [tex]sin(\phi)[/tex] term, we should get [tex]\pi/2[/tex] as well, making [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] the actual answer for

[tex]\int\intPn(\theta,\phi )d\phid\theta )[/tex]

Substituting [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] into the denomiator part of D, I get [tex]16/\pi[/tex] which obviously is not right. I am not sure where I could be going wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If we perform the integration of the [tex]sin^{2}(\theta)[/tex] terms we should get

Applying the 0 <= [tex]\theta[/tex] <= [tex]\pi[/tex] limits, I got [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 for the first integral. If we integrate the [tex]sin(\phi)[/tex] term, we should get [tex]\pi[/tex]/2 as well, making [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] the actual answer for

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]Pn([tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex] )[tex]d\phi[/tex][tex]d\theta[/tex]

Guys, please refer to my 2nd most outlining the integration process

cheers and thanks in advance

Homework Statement

An antenna has a normalised E-filed pattern, En where [tex]\theta[/tex] = vertical angle as measured from z-axis and [tex]\phi[/tex] = azimuth angle measured from x-axis.
Calculate the exact directivity

En has a non-zero value whenever [tex]0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex] and [tex]0 <= \phi <= \pi[/tex]. Elsewhere, En is zero

The correct answer is 6 , but I cannot get this number

Homework Equations

[tex]En = sin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]

Direcitivity is calculating using

[tex]D = 4\pi/[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]Pn[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex] )[tex]d\phi[/tex][tex]d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, first of all [tex]Pn = En^{2}[/tex]

Therefore [tex]Pn = sin(\theta)^{2}sin(\phi)^{2}[/tex]

Now [tex]sin^{2}(\theta) = 0.5(1 - cos(2\theta))[/tex] with respect to [tex]\theta[/tex]

Applying the [tex]0 <= \theta <= \pi[/tex] limits, I got [tex]\pi/2[/tex] for the first integral. If we integrate the [tex]sin(\phi)[/tex] term, we should get [tex]\pi/2[/tex] as well, making [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] the actual answer for

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]Pn[/tex]([tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex] )[tex]d\phi[/tex][tex]d\theta[/tex]

Substituting [tex]\pi^{2}/4[/tex] into the denomiator part of D, I get [tex]16/\pi[/tex] which obviously is not right. I am not sure where I could be going wrong

Last edited:

What is antenna directivity?

Antenna directivity is a measure of the concentration of energy in a particular direction. It is a measure of how well an antenna can transmit or receive signals in a specific direction compared to all other directions.

How is antenna directivity calculated?

Antenna directivity is calculated by dividing the maximum radiation intensity in a specific direction by the average radiation intensity in all directions. This can be represented by the equation D = Umax / Uavg, where D is the directivity, Umax is the maximum radiation intensity, and Uavg is the average radiation intensity.

What factors affect antenna directivity?

The design and structure of an antenna, such as its size, shape, and type, can all affect its directivity. Additionally, the frequency of the signal being transmitted or received and the surrounding environment can also impact directivity.

What is the difference between directivity and gain?

Directivity and gain are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. While directivity measures the concentration of energy in a specific direction, gain measures the amount of power radiated by the antenna in a specific direction compared to a reference antenna. Directivity does not take into account efficiency, whereas gain does.

Why is calculating antenna directivity important?

Calculating antenna directivity is important because it helps engineers and scientists understand the performance of an antenna in specific directions. It can also aid in determining the best placement and orientation of an antenna for optimal signal transmission or reception.