Moment of Inertia using density of Earth

In summary, the conversation involves finding the moment of inertia of the Earth using its density and radius. The student is stuck on the calculations and asks for help, but later realizes that there are limits of integration that need to be considered.
musiliu

Homework Statement

The density of the Earth, at any distance r from its center, is approximately

p = [14.2 - 11.6 r/R] x 10^3 kg/m^3

where R is the radius of the Earth. Show that this density leads to a moment of inertia I = 0.330MR^2 about an axis through the center, where M is the mass of the Earth

Homework Equations

My teacher gave hints to the class and told us to:

--Find the mass M = integral(dm) where dm = pdV
--Break Earth into pieces with same r ---> spherical shells
so dI = (2/3)r^2 dm and I = (2/3) integral( (r^2) dm) where dm = pdV
-- dV = area x height = 4(pi r^2)dr

The Attempt at a Solution

calculated the integral for I and got
I = (2/3) [ (56800pi / 5)r^5 - (46400pi / 6R)r^6

I calculated the intral for M and got
M = (56800pi / 3)r^3 - (46400pi / 4R)r^4

now i am stuck and do not know how to show that I = 0.330MR^2
also i think my calculations are wrong..

please can someone help me figure out the problem..thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok, I don't need help on this problem anymore. A tutor helped me and i figured out that there are limits of integration from 0 to R..

thanks anyway.

I would approach this problem by first checking the units of my calculations. The moment of inertia is typically measured in units of mass times distance squared (kgm^2), while the mass is measured in units of mass (kg). Therefore, the integral for I should have units of (kgm^2) rather than (m^5). Similarly, the integral for M should have units of mass (kg) rather than (m^3).

Next, I would double check my calculations to make sure they are correct. It may be helpful to write out the full integrals and double check my algebra.

Once I have verified my calculations, I would compare them to the given equation for the moment of inertia, I = 0.330MR^2. I would then manipulate my calculated integrals to see if I can simplify them to match the given equation. It may be helpful to use algebraic manipulation or substitution to get rid of any extra variables.

If I am still having trouble, I may consult with my peers or my teacher for additional guidance. As a scientist, it is important to double check calculations and ask for help when needed in order to ensure accuracy and understanding.

1. What is moment of inertia using density of Earth?

Moment of inertia using density of Earth is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, based on the distribution of its mass and the density of the Earth.

2. How is moment of inertia using density of Earth calculated?

Moment of inertia using density of Earth can be calculated using the formula I = 2/5 * MR^2, where M is the object's mass and R is the object's radius from the center of rotation to the axis of rotation.

3. Why is density of Earth important in calculating moment of inertia?

Density of Earth is important in calculating moment of inertia because it affects the distribution of an object's mass. Objects closer to the center of the Earth will have a lower moment of inertia than objects farther away due to the varying density of the Earth's layers.

4. What units are used to measure moment of inertia using density of Earth?

Moment of inertia using density of Earth is typically measured in kilograms per square meter (kg/m^2) or in terms of units of mass and distance squared (e.g. kg * m^2).

5. How does moment of inertia using density of Earth impact an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia using density of Earth affects an object's rotational motion by determining how easily it can be rotated. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more force to change their rotational motion, while objects with a lower moment of inertia will be easier to rotate.