Solve Hot-Wheels Car Mass, Velocity for Height

• Thread starter smithers11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computing
In summary, the problem asks to find the maximum height a hot-wheels car with a mass of 0.0250 kg and initial velocity of 5.00m/s can travel on a horizontal track that suddenly turns upward. The relevant equations are work = mgh = force * distance, PEf + KEf = PEi + KEi, and KE = .5mv^2. To solve, we need to convert the car's kinetic energy to gravitational potential energy, using the equation (mgh)/force = distance. The height of the ramp can be calculated using gravity as the acceleration.
smithers11

Homework Statement

"A hot-wheels car of mass 0.0250 kg is traveling on a horizontal track with a velocity of 5.00m/s. If the track suddenly turns upward, how high up the track can the car travel?"

Homework Equations

work = mgh = force * distance
PEf + KEf = PEi + KEi
KE = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to find the distance, so I solve the work equation so it looks like (mgh)/force = distance. However, this is where I'm stuck. What would I use for the height of the ramp? Also, what would I use for the acceleration (I currently have F = ma in the equation, so the masses cancel and what's left is (gh)/a)? Would I use gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
smithers11 said:

Homework Statement

"A hot-wheels car of mass 0.0250 kg is traveling on a horizontal track with a velocity of 5.00m/s. If the track suddenly turns upward, how high up the track can the car travel?"

Homework Equations

work = mgh = force * distance
PEf + KEf = PEi + KEi
KE = .5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to find the distance, so I solve the work equation so it looks like (mgh)/force = distance. However, this is where I'm stuck. What would I use for the height of the ramp? Also, what would I use for the acceleration (I currently have F = ma in the equation, so the masses cancel and what's left is (gh)/a)? Would I use gravity?

I would suggest that you focus on the conversion of Kinetic energy to gravitational potential energy.

Ahhh, i got it now. Thanks LowlyPion

What is the formula for solving the mass, velocity, and height of a Hot-Wheels car?

The formula for solving the mass, velocity, and height of a Hot-Wheels car is: mass x velocity^2 = 2 x height x gravity. This is known as the conservation of energy equation and is used to calculate the potential energy of an object at a certain height.

How do I measure the mass and velocity of a Hot-Wheels car?

To measure the mass of a Hot-Wheels car, you can use a scale that measures in grams or kilograms. To measure the velocity, you can use a radar gun or a timer and measure the time it takes the car to travel a certain distance. Make sure to use the same units for both mass and velocity in the formula.

What is the value of gravity used in the formula?

The value of gravity used in the formula is 9.8 m/s^2. This is the standard acceleration due to gravity on Earth and is used in most physics calculations involving gravity.

Can this formula be used for any Hot-Wheels car?

Yes, this formula can be used for any Hot-Wheels car as long as the mass and velocity are measured accurately. However, the value of gravity may vary slightly depending on the location and altitude where the experiment is conducted.

How can I use this formula in real-life applications?

This formula can be used in real-life applications to calculate the potential energy of objects at different heights. It can also be used in designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides to ensure the safety and thrill of the riders. Additionally, this formula can be used in engineering and construction to determine the potential energy of structures at different heights.