Perturbation approximation of the period of a pendulum

In summary, the perturbation approximation of the given integral is a series of the form \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \theta_0^n, where the coefficients can be found by expanding the integrand about u=0 and substituting u=\theta/\theta_0.
limofunder

Homework Statement

Find the perturbation approximation of the following in terms of powers of θ0.
[tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{8L}{g}}\int^{\theta_0}_{0} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{cos\theta - cos\theta_0}}[/tex]
It is helpful to first perform the change of variable u = θ/θ0 in the integral

Homework Equations

so the relevant equations are the taylor expansion of θ0, which would be
θ000+εθ012 θ02/2

The Attempt at a Solution

so then making the change of variable suggested, we have
[tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{8L}{g}}\int^{\theta_0}_{0} \frac{\theta_0 du}{\sqrt{cos(u\theta_0) - cos\theta_0}}[/tex]
is it correct to say that the perturbation approximation is then
[tex]\frac{\theta_0_0 + \epsilon \theta_0_1+
\frac{\epsilon^2 \theta_0_2}{2}...}{\sqrt{cos(u\theta_0_0)-\epsilon sin(u\theta_0_1)-\epsilon^2cos(u\theta_0_2)-cost\theta_0_0)-\epsilon sin(theta_0_1)-\epsilon^2cos(\theta_0_2)...-cos\theta_0}}=0[/tex]

or am i doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
limofunder said:

Homework Statement

Find the perturbation approximation of the following in terms of powers of θ0.
[tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{8L}{g}}\int^{\theta_0}_{0} \frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{cos\theta - cos\theta_0}}[/tex]
It is helpful to first perform the change of variable u = θ/θ0 in the integral

Homework Equations

so the relevant equations are the taylor expansion of θ0, which would be
θ000+εθ012 θ02/2

Huh?! :confused:

What are [itex]\theta_{0_0}[/itex], [itex]\theta_{0_1}[/itex] and [itex]\theta_{0_2}[/itex] supposed to represent?

The Attempt at a Solution

so then making the change of variable suggested, we have
[tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{8L}{g}}\int^{\theta_0}_{0} \frac{\theta_0 du}{\sqrt{cos(u\theta_0) - cos\theta_0}}[/tex]
is it correct to say that the perturbation approximation is then
[tex]\frac{\theta_0_0 + \epsilon \theta_0_1+
\frac{\epsilon^2 \theta_0_2}{2}...}{\sqrt{cos(u\theta_0_0)-\epsilon sin(u\theta_0_1)-\epsilon^2cos(u\theta_0_2)-cost\theta_0_0)-\epsilon sin(theta_0_1)-\epsilon^2cos(\theta_0_2)...-cos\theta_0}}=0[/tex]

or am i doing something wrong?

What you have written seems nonsensical to me.

The way I would interpret the question is that you are supposed to Taylor expand the integrand about the point [itex]\theta=\theta_0[/itex], then integrate your Taylor Series term by term in order to end up with a series of the form:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n \theta_0^n[/tex]

that represents your integral.

i erroneously thought that the
θ00+εθ01+ε2 θ02/2
terms represented the expansion about θ0.

so then following the help you gave, the expansion of the integrand would be
following Taylor series:
f(0)+f'(0)+f''(0)... where we only go the second order since the original problem asks us to go to O(θ2) (I forgot to list this in the original question).
we get
[tex]\frac{\theta_0}{\sqrt{cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0}}+\frac{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)-\theta_0(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)}{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{3/2}}*\theta_0 [/tex]
[tex]+ \frac{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{3/2}[(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)-\theta_0(cos\theta_0-u^2cosu\theta_0)]-6[(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)-\theta_0(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)]((sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{1/2}}{4(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^3}[/tex]
of course, last term would also be multiplied by θ02/2.when substituting in 0 for fn, however, everything becomes zero, so what did i do wrong?

limofunder said:
i erroneously thought that the
θ00+εθ01+ε2 θ02/2
terms represented the expansion about θ0.

so then following the help you gave, the expansion of the integrand would be
following Taylor series:
f(0)+f'(0)+f''(0)... where we only go the second order since the original problem asks us to go to O(θ2) (I forgot to list this in the original question).
we get
[tex]\frac{\theta_0}{\sqrt{cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0}}+\frac{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)-\theta_0(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)}{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{3/2}}*\theta_0 [/tex]
[tex]+ \frac{2 (cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{3/2}[(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)-\theta_0(cos\theta_0-u^2cosu\theta_0)]-6[(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)-\theta_0(sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)]((sin\theta_0-usinu\theta_0)(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^{1/2}}{4(cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0)^3}[/tex]
of course, last term would also be multiplied by θ02/2.when substituting in 0 for fn, however, everything becomes zero, so what did i do wrong?

Since you know [itex]0\leq u\leq 1[/itex] for your entire integration interval, try expanding [itex]f(u)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)}}[/itex] about [itex]u=0[/itex] instead.

So the expansion of
[tex]
f(u)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)}}[/tex]
about u=0 gives:
f(u)+θ0f'(u)+θ02/2
yielding
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{cosu\theta_0-cos\theta_0}}+\frac{u\sin(u\theta_0)}{2 (\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)^{3/2}}+\frac{\sin(u\theta_0)+u^2\cos(u\theta_0))(\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0))+\frac{3}{2}u^2\sin^2(u\theta_0)}{4(\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)^{3/2}}[/tex]
thus about u=0, everything but the first term becomes 0, giving:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\cos(\theta_0)}}}[/tex]
how can we solve about bigOH(θ02)?

limofunder said:
So the expansion of
[tex]
f(u)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{\cos(u\theta_0)-\cos(\theta_0)}}[/tex]
about u=0 gives:
f(u)+θ0f'(u)+θ02/2

No, the expansion about [itex]u=0[/itex] is:

[tex]f(u)=f(0)+f'(0)u+\frac{f''(0)}{2!}u^2+\frac{f'''(0)}{3!}u^3+\ldots[/tex]

And since [itex]f(u)[/itex] is a function of [itex]u[/itex], the differentiation is with respect to [itex]u[/itex], not [itex]\theta_0[/itex].

I think I finally understand it, then we use the fact that u=θ/θ0, and rewrite the expansion in terms of θ0?

1. What is the perturbation approximation method?

The perturbation approximation method is a technique used in physics and mathematics to approximate the solution to a complex problem by breaking it down into simpler, more manageable parts. In the context of finding the period of a pendulum, it involves using a small angle approximation to make the calculations easier.

2. How does the perturbation approximation method apply to the period of a pendulum?

In the case of a pendulum, the perturbation approximation method is used to approximate the period of oscillation when the angle of displacement is small. This is because the equation for the period of a pendulum becomes more complex as the angle of displacement increases, making it difficult to solve analytically. The perturbation method simplifies this equation and allows for an approximate solution to be found.

3. What are the limitations of the perturbation approximation method?

The perturbation approximation method is only accurate for small angles of displacement. As the angle increases, the accuracy of the approximation decreases. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for complex or highly non-linear systems.

4. How is the perturbation approximation method used to calculate the period of a pendulum?

To use the perturbation approximation method to calculate the period of a pendulum, the equation for the period is expanded using a Taylor series. The terms beyond the first-order term are then neglected, as they become increasingly small for small angles. This results in a simplified equation that can be solved to find an approximate value for the period.

5. Can the perturbation approximation method be used for any type of pendulum?

The perturbation approximation method can be used for simple pendulums, where the mass is concentrated at a single point and the suspension point is fixed. For more complex pendulum systems, such as compound pendulums, other methods may need to be used to find an accurate solution.