Infinite union and intersection

In summary, the given statement states that the union of a set A and a set containing B_n for all n is equal to the intersection of A and the set containing A "minus" B_n for all n. In order for x to be in the intersection set, it must also be in the set A "minus" B_n for all n. Similarly, in order for y to be in the union set, it must be in at least one B_n, meaning it is not in A, but it must also be in the intersection set of (A \ B_n) for all n.
jasonchen2002

Homework Statement

Given a set A \in R^m, B_n \in R^m for n \in N, show that

A \ Union {from n = 1 to inf} B_n = Intersection {from n = 1 to inf} (A \ B_n}

Homework Equations

Same equation as above

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have a solution in mind, but I wanted to make sure it is correct:

Say, take x \in (Intersection {from n = 1 to inf} (A \ B_n}), in order for x to be in that set, x must be in A \ B_n for all n \in N.

That implies A \ Union {from n = 1 to inf} B_n, is that correct for the proof? Can I somehow write it out better? I hope someone can fill the gaps in the proof, and any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
jasonchen2002 said:

Homework Statement

Given a set A \in R^m, B_n \in R^m for n \in N, show that

A \ Union {from n = 1 to inf} B_n = Intersection {from n = 1 to inf} (A \ B_n}

Homework Equations

Same equation as above

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have a solution in mind, but I wanted to make sure it is correct:

Say, take x \in (Intersection {from n = 1 to inf} (A \ B_n}), in order for x to be in that set, x must be in A \ B_n for all n \in N.

That implies A \ Union {from n = 1 to inf} B_n, is that correct for the proof?
How does it imply that? That's the whole point of the proof. Yes, you are right that the fact that x is in A\ B_n for all n means that x is in A. Now you need to show that x is NOT in "union B_n". How does that follow? (I'm not saying it doesn't! I am saying you need to show that.)

Can I somehow write it out better? I hope someone can fill the gaps in the proof, and any help will be appreciated.
Of course, you also need to prove that "if x is in A\ union B_n, then x is in \intersection (A\B_n)".

That's the main trouble, I can't seem to describe the answer...
If x is in A \ B_n for all n, then x is in a set containing A "minus" B_n for all n, but n goes from 1 to infinity, that's the whole set B_n (union), so x is in A "minus" the union of B_n?

As for the other way around, take y \in A \ union B_n, for y to exist there must be at least one B_n for some n \in N such that y is in B_n.
That means the set A does not contain y, but now I'm not sure where to go to show that y is also in the intersecton of (A \ B_n)

1. What is the definition of an infinite union?

An infinite union is a mathematical operation where the elements of two or more sets are combined into a single set containing all the elements from each original set. This can be represented using the ∪ symbol and is often referred to as the "union of sets."

2. How is an infinite union different from a finite union?

An infinite union involves combining an infinite number of elements from two or more sets, while a finite union only involves combining a finite number of elements. This means that an infinite union can result in a set with an infinite number of elements, while a finite union will always result in a set with a finite number of elements.

3. What is the definition of an infinite intersection?

An infinite intersection is a mathematical operation where the elements that are common to two or more sets are selected and combined into a new set. This can be represented using the ∩ symbol and is often referred to as the "intersection of sets."

4. How is an infinite intersection different from a finite intersection?

An infinite intersection involves selecting an infinite number of elements that are common to two or more sets, while a finite intersection only involves selecting a finite number of elements. This means that an infinite intersection can result in a set with an infinite number of elements, while a finite intersection will always result in a set with a finite number of elements.

5. What are some real-world examples of using infinite union and intersection?

Infinite union and intersection are often used in statistics, where they can represent the combination of an infinite number of data points or the selection of common data points between multiple sets. They are also used in set theory and logic, where they can represent the combination or intersection of an infinite number of mathematical concepts or statements.