Limits of Functions of Several Variables

Otherwise, you can argue with symmetry or geometry or some other insight. Or, the limit might not exist and you have to show that by finding two paths to the origin that give different limits. There are some general theorems but they are not all that easy to apply.In this particular problem, you need to find a path to the origin so that along that path the function tends to one limit and then find a different path to the origin so that along that path the function tends to a different limit. You have to do that for every possible way of getting to the origin. You can't possibly do that for every possible way. However, if after checking a few paths, it appears
roam

Homework Statement

Let f: R2 -> R be defined by: [tex]f(x,y)= \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z}[/tex]

Determine if the [tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} f(x,y)[/tex] exists. If the limit exists prove it. If not prove that it doesn't.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what it means by "proving". I don't know if we need to show a rigorous proof (like epsilon & delta) or simply showing whether there is a common limit along different paths.

Here is my attempt:

As (x,y) -> (0,0) along the y-axis, x=0:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z} = \frac{0+y-3z}{0-5y+2z}[/tex]

As (x,y) -> (0,0) along the x-axis, y=0:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z} = \frac{4x+0-3z}{2x-0+2z}[/tex]

As (x,y) -> (0,0) along the line y=x:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (0,0)} \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z} = \frac{4x+x-3z}{2x-x+2z} = \frac{5x-3z}{x+2z}[/tex]

I'm a little confused here about the "z" & I don't know how to get rid of it...
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your function f is a map from R3 to R, not R2 to R, so it should be written as f(x, y, z) and the limit should be as (x, y, z) --> (0, 0, 0).

Keeping that in mind, it looks like you're on the right path. I believe that it would be sufficient to check straight-line paths into the origin; e.g y = Ax, y = Bz, x = Cz, and so on. Hope that helps.

I was under the impression that checking different paths is only good for proving that the limit doesn't exist.

Mark44 said:
Your function f is a map from R3 to R, not R2 to R, so it should be written as f(x, y, z) and the limit should be as (x, y, z) --> (0, 0, 0).

Keeping that in mind, it looks like you're on the right path. I believe that it would be sufficient to check straight-line paths into the origin; e.g y = Ax, y = Bz, x = Cz, and so on. Hope that helps.

Sorry, that was a typo but I'm not quite sure what you mean.

As (x,y,z) -> (0,0,0) along the y-axis, x=0:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z} = \frac{y-3z}{-5y+2z}[/tex]

As (x,y,z) -> (0,0,0) along the x-axis, y=0:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z} = \frac{4x-3z}{2x-2z}[/tex]

As (x,y,z) -> (0,0,0) along the line y=x:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z} = \frac{4x+x-3z}{2x-x+2z} = \frac{5x-3z}{x+2z}[/tex]

It's still the same... :uhh:

Along the y-axis, x and z are zero. Similarly, along the x-axis, y and z are zero, and along the z-axis, x and y are zero.

Random Variable said:
I was under the impression that checking different paths is only good for proving that the limit doesn't exist.

Right. Before committing to proving that a limit has a certain value, it's a good idea to check that the limit actually exists. If you get different values along different paths, then you know that the limit does not exist.

Mark44 said:
Along the y-axis, x and z are zero. Similarly, along the x-axis, y and z are zero, and along the z-axis, x and y are zero.

Thanks very much!
I think testing along the line y=x is only useful for the functions which are a map from R2 to R.

So, here's my working:

along the y-axis:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z} = \lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{y}{-5y} = 0[/tex]

along the x-axis:

[tex]= \lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{4x}{2x} = 0[/tex]

z-axis:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{-3z}{2z} = 0[/tex]

Hence the limit exists and equals 0.

roam said:
Thanks very much!
I think testing along the line y=x is only useful for the functions which are a map from R2 to R.

So, here's my working:

along the y-axis:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{4x+y-3z}{2x-5y+2z} = \lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{y}{-5y} = 0[/tex]
NO! How in the world did you arrive at that? For example if y= 0.000001, very close to 0, y/(-5y)= 0.000001/-0.000005= 1/5, so the limit can't be 0.

along the x-axis:

[tex]= \lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{4x}{2x} = 0[/tex]
Again, no.

z-axis:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{-3z}{2z} = 0[/tex]
Yet again, no.

Hence the limit exists and equals 0.
No, it is not. Your problem is not with "limits of functions of several variables". You've done three limits of single variable functions here incorrectly.

Check those limits again. They're all different.

But even if they were all the same, you would still have to check every conceivable path to the origin to prove that the limit exists.

Sometimes for functions of two variables you can convert to polar coordinates to prove that the limit exists. Otherwise, use the formal definition if you think you know the limit.

NO! How in the world did you arrive at that? For example if y= 0.000001, very close to 0, y/(-5y)= 0.000001/-0.000005= 1/5, so the limit can't be 0.

y-axis:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{y}{-5y} = \frac{1}{-5}[/tex]

x-axis:

[tex]= \lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{4x}{2x} = 2[/tex]

z-axis:

[tex]\lim_{(x,y,z) \to (0,0,0)} \frac{-3z}{2z} = \frac{-3}{2}[/tex]

Hence the limit doesn't exists since there's no common limit. Is this enough to show that the limit doesn't exist?

But even if they were all the same, you would still have to check every conceivable path to the origin to prove that the limit exists.

I don't know how to that...

You now have enough information to conclude that the limit doesn't exist.

Yes. All you have to show is that 2 different paths to the origin give different limits.

You can't possibly check every path to the origin. If after you have checked a few different paths it appears that the limit exists, use the formal definition of a limit (or sometimes a change of variables) to show that the limit exists.

What is a limit of a function of several variables?

A limit of a function of several variables is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input variables approach a certain value or point. It is the value that the function approaches, or "approaches from both sides", as the input variables get closer to a certain value.

How is the limit of a function of several variables calculated?

The limit of a function of several variables is calculated by plugging in values for the input variables and observing the output value as the input values get closer to the desired point. This can be done algebraically, graphically, or numerically using a table of values.

What is the significance of limits of functions of several variables?

Limits of functions of several variables play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex mathematical models and real-world phenomena. They help us understand how a function behaves at a certain point and can be used to determine the existence of a limit, continuity, and differentiability of a function.

Is there a difference between limits of functions of one variable and several variables?

Yes, there is a difference between limits of functions of one variable and several variables. While the concept of a limit remains the same, the calculation and interpretation of limits of functions of several variables can be more complex due to the presence of multiple input variables.

What are some real-world applications of limits of functions of several variables?

Limits of functions of several variables have numerous real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems and phenomena, such as fluid flow, chemical reactions, and economic trends.