Line perpendicular to given passing through point

In summary, the problem involves finding a line passing through a given point and perpendicular to a given line. One method to solve this is by projecting the vector connecting the given point and a point on the line onto the directional vector of the line. Another possible method involves constructing a plane from the given line, with the normal vector being perpendicular to the line. The dot product and Pythagorean theorem can also be used to confirm the solution.
mitjak
Line perpendicular to given line passing through a point

Homework Statement

What is the vector equation of a line passing through P(1,2,3) which is perpendicular to the line L1 : (x-4)/4 = (y-5)/5 = (z-6)/6

Homework Equations

Dot product
Projections
Planes, perhaps?

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I am on the right track but what I'm interested in the other possible ways of tackling this.

Since we are given a point on the line in the equation of L1, let's call it Q(4,5,6), I thought I should attempt to project the vector PQ that connects the point on the line with the point P, onto the directional vector of the line. Then, adding the projection, QR, to the original directional vector I should be able to obtain the point on the line, R, where the vector PR is perpendicular to the line L1. From thereon, it's just a matter of using the point R and the vector PR to write out the line's equation.

Is my line of thinking correct, and what would be the alternative ways of solving this? The calculus teacher hinted at a number of ways, one of which would involve constructing a plane from the line L1, with the normal of the plane being the vector perpendicular to the line; and the other method having possibly to do with the dot product. I am not sure how one would go about solving this problem in those ways but I am very interested in finding out.

Advice much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've used the dot product and Pythagorean theorem to confirm my answers, as well as Mac OS' Grapher to visualize them, and the answers seem correct, but I'm still curious how you would solve this using planes. Somehow planes seem more elegant. Call me a geek if you want but I'd like to understand this from a different angle :).

1. What does it mean for a line to be perpendicular?

Perpendicular lines are two lines that intersect at a 90-degree angle, forming four right angles at the point of intersection. This means that the slope of one line is the negative reciprocal of the slope of the other line.

2. How do you find the equation of a line perpendicular to a given line passing through a point?

To find the equation of a line perpendicular to a given line passing through a point, first find the slope of the given line. Then, take the negative reciprocal of that slope and use the point given to write the equation in point-slope form.

3. Can a line be perpendicular to itself?

No, a line cannot be perpendicular to itself. To be perpendicular, two lines must intersect at a 90-degree angle, which means they cannot be the same line.

4. How many lines can be perpendicular to a given line passing through a point?

There can be infinitely many lines that are perpendicular to a given line passing through a point. As long as the lines have different slopes, they can intersect at a 90-degree angle at the given point.

5. Is there a specific formula for finding a line perpendicular to a given line passing through a point?

Yes, there is a specific formula for finding a line perpendicular to a given line passing through a point. It involves finding the negative reciprocal of the slope of the given line and using the point-slope form of a line to write the equation.