Calculating Torque for a Darrieus Wind Turbine with 2 Blades and 1/8 HP Motor

• Thread starter tingting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the wind turbine has two blades and is about 1 meter in diameter. The average speed is 2.5 m/s, and the torque is about 0.12 Newton-meters. The wind turbine is connected to a DC generator to charge a battary.
tingting
Hello:
My one is Darrieus wind turbine with 2 blades. Diamerter is about 1 meter and also know the average speed is 2.5m/s.So,how to calculate the torque ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is it connected to? Can you measure thw work output of the turbine? If yes, work is the product of torque & the angular velocity of the turbine. If no, measure it somehow

ank_gl said:
What is it connected to? Can you measure thw work output of the turbine? If yes, work is the product of torque & the angular velocity of the turbine. If no, measure it somehow

The wind turbine is connected to DC generator to charge a battary. And i can calculate the input of the wind turbine.

Input of the wind turbine? Do you mean the air speed?

Either way, what would the torque represent? You should be worried about getting the power of the unit. Measure the rpm & calculate the torque as power divided by angular velocity(I messed up the formula in the last post). The torque will vary as the load on the turbine varies. If the rotor senses lesser resistance(lesser load), it will speed up & hence torque will be low, & vice versa. The turbine will produce the maximum torque when its speed is zero, & this torque is called stalling torque. YOu can calculate it simply by holding the blade via a force scale.

I will first estimate the power in the wind at 15 meters per sec, then the power you should be able to get out at 2.5 m/sec.
Air has a density ρ of about 1.29 Kg per cubic meter. at 15 m/s the wind power density is

Pdens = (1/2) ρ v3 = 2200 watts per meter2.
Note that power density scales as velocity cubed. The theoretical max efficiency of a horizontal axis wind turbine is about 59.3% (Betz limit). Actual is about 40%. For a vertical axis Darrieus (egg-beater) machine, I will guess 30%. So your machine with an area of 0.78 meter2 might give 510 watts at 15m/sec wind velocity. The Darrieus blade-tip speed should be about 4 x wind velocity.

In a 2.5 m/s wind speed, your max power is about (2.5/15)3 510 =2.4 watts. Your rotor speed should be about 3.2 rps or ω = 20 radians per sec. Your optimum torque for a wind speed of 2.5 m/s and rotor speed of 3.2 rps is then 2.4 watt/ω = 0.12 Newton-meters.

See http://www.windturbine-analysis.netfirms.com/index-analyse.htm

[Edit] updated area, efficiency, and torque estimates.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

Last edited by a moderator:
The torque can use this formula T= Flift * r right?
and how to find Flift

In a 2.5 m/s wind speed, your max power is about (2.5/15)3 510 =2.4 watts. Your rotor speed should be about 3.2 rps or ω = 20 radians per sec. Your optimum torque for a wind speed of 2.5 m/s and rotor speed of 3.2 rps is then 2.4 watt/ω = 0.12 Newton-meters.

how do you know the rotor speed of 3.2rpm? From which graph?

tingting said:
how do you know the rotor speed of 3.2rpm? From which graph?
For Darrieus machines, the speed of the rotor blade tip should be about 4 times the wind speed for optimum power output. See
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/mragheb/www/NPRE%20498WP%20Wind%20Power%20Systems/Optimal%20Rotor%20Tip%20Speed%20Ratio.pdf
So if the wind speed is 2.5 m/sec, then the oprimum rotor blade tip speed should be 10 m/sec. Dividing by the radius (0.5 m) gives the angular speed w = 20 radians per sec. dividing by 2 pi gives rps = 3.2 revolutions per sec.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to determine the stall torque on a 90 DC 1/8 hp motor. we have a 10in diameter propeller attached. my goal is to create a power curve with a max RPM of 185. I don't really know much about motors or power so any tips would be appreciated! Thanks

1. What is torque and why is it important?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. It is important because it helps us understand how different forces can affect the motion of an object.

2. How do you calculate torque?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the point of rotation to where the force is applied. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

3. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lb).

4. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. A negative torque indicates that the force is causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction.

5. What factors affect torque?

The two main factors that affect torque are the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation to where the force is applied. Additionally, the angle of the force in relation to the object and the mass of the object can also affect torque.