Changing temperature of falling bodies

In summary, when a block of material falls from a height h and reaches a speed v just before hitting the ground, its temperature changes according to the following equation: a. v2/2c b. gh/c c. vgh/c d. Only (a) and (b) are correct.
djk628

Homework Statement

A block of material of mass m and specific heat c falls from height h and reaches speed v just before striking the ground. Its temperature is measured immediately after it strikes the ground. If we ignore any change in temperature owing to interaction with the air, the change in temperature of the block of material is

a. v2/2c
b. gh/c
c. vgh/c
d. All of the answers above are correct.
e. Only (a) and (b) above are correct

Homework Equations

mgh = deltaQ + .5mv2

Q = mcT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused because by my understanding, the answer should be (gh-(v2/2))/c which is a combination of both A and B. However, this does not mean that both A and B are correct as answer choice E states. I obtained this answer by simply isolating T in the aforementioned relative equation. Am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
When the block is at height h it has potential energy mgh and kinetic energy 0. Just as it hits the ground it has kinetic energy (1/2)*mv^2 and potential energy 0. Conservation of energy says KE+PE is constant. That means (1/2)*mv^2=mgh. Your answer would give 0. Do you see why both a) and b) are correct now?

Ah, i must have read the question too quickly. Earlier in the homework assignment there was a question that involved an object reaching terminal velocity and then continued falling, allowing for further temperature change. I assumed it had the same conditions as the earlier problem. Thanks!

I am slightly confused on one thing though... Since KE = PE, then wouldn't deltaQ be zero, so there wouldn't be any temperature change at all?

What actually happens here is PE (mgh) at the top of the fall get changed into an equal amount of KE (mv^2/2) at the impact which then gets changed into an equal amount of heat energy (Q) conserving energy all the way. They are all EQUAL. How would that translate into 'no temperature change'??

Alright I understand it now. Thank you.

1. How does changing temperature affect the falling speed of objects?

The falling speed of objects is affected by temperature through changes in air density. As temperature increases, air density decreases, which results in a decrease in air resistance. This allows objects to fall faster due to less resistance.

2. Does the type of material affect the rate of change in temperature for falling bodies?

Yes, the type of material can affect the rate of change in temperature for falling bodies. Different materials have different thermal conductivities, which determine how quickly they can absorb or release heat. This can impact the rate at which their temperature changes as they fall.

3. Can changing temperature affect the trajectory of a falling body?

Yes, changing temperature can affect the trajectory of a falling body. As temperature changes, air density changes, and this can cause changes in air resistance. This can result in changes in the direction and speed of the falling object's motion.

4. Is there a specific temperature range that affects the falling speed of bodies?

There is no specific temperature range that affects the falling speed of bodies. The rate of change in temperature and the resulting changes in air density can vary depending on factors such as altitude, atmospheric pressure, and the specific characteristics of the falling body.

5. Are there any other factors besides temperature that can affect the falling speed of objects?

Yes, there are other factors besides temperature that can affect the falling speed of objects. These include the shape, size, and weight of the falling body, as well as the presence of other external forces such as wind or air resistance. Additionally, the medium through which the object is falling, such as air or water, can also impact its falling speed.