The Cov(X,Y) on a square dart board

You are right in this case, since X and Y are independent and uncorrelated. However, if you want to double check your answer, you can also use the formula Cov(X,Y) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y) and plug in the values for E(X), E(Y), and E(XY) that you calculated. The result should be zero.
BookMark440
A point (X, Y) is picked at random, uniformly from the square with corners at (0,0), (1,0), (0,1) and (1,1). Compute Cov{X, Y}.

I think of this as darts thrown at a unit square dart board.

Cov(X,Y) = E(XY) - E(X)E(Y).

I compute that E(X)=E(Y)= 0.5 using the integral xf(x).

But I cannot figure out how to approach computing E(XY). Or is there a better strategy for solving this?

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

BookMark440 said:
I compute that E(X)=E(Y)= 0.5 using the integral xf(x).

But I cannot figure out how to approach computing E(XY).

Hi BookMark440! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(I'm not sure exactly what you mean by f(x))

If you got E(X) from ∫x, why can't you get E(XY) from ∫∫xy ?

Thanks. I did that and ended up getting zero for an answer, which always makes me think I made an error. In this case, I guess it just verifies that X,Y are independent.

A covariance of zero is very common in textbook examples.

1. What is the meaning of "Cov(X,Y) on a square dart board"?

"Cov(X,Y) on a square dart board" refers to the covariance between two variables, X and Y, on a square dart board. It is a measure of how the two variables vary together on the board.

2. How is the covariance calculated on a square dart board?

The covariance on a square dart board is calculated by taking the average of the products of the deviations from the mean for each variable. This can be represented by the formula Cov(X,Y) = Σ (X - X̄)(Y - Ȳ) / n, where X and Y are the variables, X̄ and Ȳ are their respective means, and n is the total number of data points.

3. What does a positive covariance on a square dart board indicate?

A positive covariance on a square dart board indicates that as one variable increases, the other variable also tends to increase. This means that the two variables have a positive relationship on the board.

4. What does a negative covariance on a square dart board indicate?

A negative covariance on a square dart board indicates that as one variable increases, the other variable tends to decrease. This means that the two variables have a negative relationship on the board.

5. How can the covariance on a square dart board be interpreted?

The covariance on a square dart board can be interpreted as a measure of the strength and direction of the relationship between the two variables. A higher absolute value of covariance indicates a stronger relationship, while a positive or negative sign indicates the direction of the relationship.