Misner-Thorne-Wheeler, p.92, Box 4.1, typo?

• Thread starter gheremond
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary, there is a formula in Chapter 4, Page 92, Box 4.1 of Misner-Thorne-Wheeler Gravitation for the contraction of a p-form and a p-vector. This formula states that the contraction of a p-form basis with a p-vector basis gives the antisymmetrizer symbol, which can also be found in exercises 3.13 and 4.12. However, some confusion arises as the symbol \delta^{ij}_{kl} is defined differently in the book compared to the 1/n! factor mentioned in the exercises. After expanding the wedge products into tensor products, it is shown that the result is actually 2 times the antisymmetrizer symbol, rather
gheremond
In Misner-Thorne-Wheeler Gravitation, Chapter 4, Page 92, Box 4.1, at section 4, there is a formula for the contraction of a p-form and a p-vector. Now, it states that the contraction of a p-form basis with a p-vector basis gives the antisymmetrizer symbol, [tex]\left\langle {\omega ^{i_1 } \wedge \ldots \wedge \omega ^{i_p } ,e_{j_1 } \wedge \ldots \wedge e_{j_p } } \right\rangle = \delta ^{i_1 \ldots i_p } _{j_1 \ldots j_p } [/tex] and there is a reference to exercises 3.13 and 4.12. I tried this part many many times and I always find the result to be p! times the antisymmetrizer. I also compared it for the case p=2 using the definition of the symbol from exercise 3.13, still the same result, I get an overall 2. Can anybody please explain what am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
No typo. The symbol [tex]\delta^{ij}_{kl}\equiv \delta^{[i}_{k}\delta^{j]}_{l}\equiv \frac{1}{2!}\left(\delta^{i}_{k}\delta^{j}_{l}-\delta^{j}_{k}\delta^{i}_{l}\right)[/tex] (which generalizes to n indices with a 1/n! factor), and basis 1-forms act on basis vectors as [tex]\omega^{i}(e_{j})=\delta^{i}_{j}[/tex].

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. However, if you look on page 88, you will see that the definition for [tex] \delta ^{\alpha \beta } _{\mu \nu } = \delta ^\alpha _\mu \delta ^\beta _\nu - \delta ^\alpha _\nu \delta ^\beta _\mu [/tex] according to MTW does not carry the 1/2! factor that you mention. Furthermore, if you expand the wedge products into tensor products within the contraction symbol, you get [tex]\left\langle {\omega ^\alpha \wedge \omega ^\beta ,e_\mu \wedge e_\nu } \right\rangle = \left\langle {\omega ^\alpha \otimes \omega ^\beta - \omega ^\beta \otimes \omega ^\alpha ,e_\mu \otimes e_\nu - e_\nu \otimes e_\mu } \right\rangle[/tex]

[tex] = \left\langle {\omega ^\alpha \otimes \omega ^\beta ,e_\mu \otimes e_\nu } \right\rangle - \left\langle {\omega ^\alpha \otimes \omega ^\beta ,e_\nu \otimes e_\mu } \right\rangle - \left\langle {\omega ^\beta \otimes \omega ^\alpha ,e_\mu \otimes e_\nu } \right\rangle + \left\langle {\omega ^\beta \otimes \omega ^\alpha ,e_\nu \otimes e_\mu } \right\rangle [/tex]

[tex] = \delta ^\alpha _\mu \delta ^\beta _\nu - \delta ^\alpha _\nu \delta ^\beta _\mu - \delta ^\beta _\mu \delta ^\alpha _\nu + \delta ^\beta _\nu \delta ^\alpha _\mu = 2\left( {\delta ^\alpha _\mu \delta ^\beta _\nu - \delta ^\alpha _\nu \delta ^\beta _\mu } \right) = 2 \delta ^{\alpha \beta } _{\mu \nu } [/tex]

again, using all the conventions of the book up to this point.

1. What is the Misner-Thorne-Wheeler metric?

The Misner-Thorne-Wheeler metric is a mathematical model used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime around a massive object.

2. What is the significance of p.92 in the Misner-Thorne-Wheeler paper?

The p.92 refers to page 92 in the Misner-Thorne-Wheeler paper, which is where Box 4.1, containing a typo, can be found. This typo has become a famous example in the scientific community.

3. What is Box 4.1 in the Misner-Thorne-Wheeler paper?

Box 4.1 is a section in the Misner-Thorne-Wheeler paper that contains a typo in one of the equations. This typo has become well-known and is often used as an example in scientific discussions.

4. How was the typo in Box 4.1 discovered in the Misner-Thorne-Wheeler paper?

The typo in Box 4.1 was discovered by physicist John A. Wheeler, who was reviewing the paper before it was published. He noticed the error and brought it to the attention of the authors, who then corrected it before its official publication.

5. What is the impact of the typo in Box 4.1 on the Misner-Thorne-Wheeler paper?

The typo in Box 4.1 does not significantly impact the overall findings and conclusions of the Misner-Thorne-Wheeler paper. However, it has become a famous example in the scientific community and is often used as a cautionary tale for the importance of careful proofreading and peer review.