Help on optics problems please they are due tonight

• Thread starter supermenscher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, If you need help with optics problems, make sure to show your work and apply Snell's law of refraction and/or the law of reflection correctly. For the problem with two mirrors meeting at a 125 degree angle, use the law of reflection and consider triangle geometry.
supermenscher
help on optics problems...please...they are due tonight!

Two mirrors meet at an 125 degree angle. If light rays strike one mirror at 125 degrees, what angle do they leave the second mirror? I got 5 degrees and I tried negative 5 degrees, but both of those answers are wrong.

A diver shines a flashlight upward from beneath the water at a 47.5 degree angle to the vertical. At what angle does the light leaver the water. I got 71.5 degrees, and that answer was incorrect.

LIght is incident on an equlateral crown glass prism at a 42 degree angle to the normal on one face. Calculate the angle at which light emerges from the oppoiste face. Assume n = 1.56. I tried this problem twice, and got two wrong answers.

Can someone please help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to get the help you need, you must show your work so we can see what you are doing wrong.
supermenscher said:
Two mirrors meet at an 125 degree angle. If light rays strike one mirror at 125 degrees, what angle do they leave the second mirror? I got 5 degrees and I tried negative 5 degrees, but both of those answers are wrong.
I assume you are talking about plane mirrors? If so, I understand what "meeting at 125 degrees" probably means. But what does light striking at 125 degrees mean? Usually the angle is given with respect to the normal, thus can only go as high as 90 degrees.

A diver shines a flashlight upward from beneath the water at a 47.5 degree angle to the vertical. At what angle does the light leaver the water. I got 71.5 degrees, and that answer was incorrect.
Apply Snell's law of refraction. You mixed up the indices of refraction for air and water.

LIght is incident on an equlateral crown glass prism at a 42 degree angle to the normal on one face. Calculate the angle at which light emerges from the oppoiste face. Assume n = 1.56. I tried this problem twice, and got two wrong answers.
Apply Snell's law of refraction and some triangle geometry.

Sorry I made a typo, the light ray strikes one mirror at 40 degrees

Thanks for your help doc al

All three solved correctly?

Yes, I followed the formulas given and plugged in the numbers

I got the other 2 right, but I still can't get the first one with the mirrors and angle. Thank you for you help so far

It's probably too late for your deadline, but the first one is just the law of reflection ([itex]\theta_i = \theta_r[/itex]) with a little triangle geometry thrown in.

thank u doc al

1. What are the basic concepts of optics?

The basic concepts of optics include reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference. Reflection is the bouncing back of light when it hits a surface, while refraction is the bending of light when it passes through a medium. Diffraction is the bending of light around an obstacle, and interference is the interaction of two or more light waves.

2. How do I solve optics problems?

To solve optics problems, it is important to first understand the given information and identify the concepts involved. Then, use the appropriate equations and formulas to calculate the desired values. It is also helpful to draw diagrams to visualize the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts.

3. What are the units of measurement used in optics?

The units of measurement used in optics are meters (m) for distance, seconds (s) for time, and radians (rad) for angles. Other units such as nanometers (nm) and micrometers (μm) are also commonly used for measuring the wavelength of light.

4. How do I convert between different units in optics?

To convert between units in optics, use conversion factors or dimensional analysis. For example, to convert from nanometers to meters, multiply the value in nanometers by 10^-9. It is important to keep track of units and cancel them out to ensure the final answer has the correct units.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve optics problems?

Yes, a calculator can be used to solve optics problems. However, it is important to make sure the calculator is in the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to use the appropriate buttons for trigonometric functions and scientific notation. It is also recommended to double check calculations and use significant figures in the final answer.