Photon incident on a molecule

In summary: So v1 and v2 would give you v2-v1.In summary, the conversation discusses the labeling of absorption bands in molecules with multiple vibrational modes. They question why the combination of two modes, v1 and v2, is labeled as "v1 + v2" instead of the lowest common multiple of the two frequencies. The concept of energy levels and classical physics is also brought up. The conversation also mentions the Wikipedia article on water absorption modes and how the straight modes are not listed as strongly absorptive. The idea of net charge oscillations and transitions between base modes and higher ones is also mentioned. Finally, it is clarified that the frequencies are added together to get the mode and the superposition should be at the difference of
mikeph
Hello

If a molecule has two specific vibrational modes (eg. symmetric and antisymmetric stretching in H2O), and they occur at different frequencies, v1 and v2, then why is the absorption band associated with a combination of these two modes labelled "v1 + v2"?

My intuition is that the H2O can absorb exact frequencies which resonate with the dipole change associated with that specific oscillation. So if a v1 oscillation is stimulated by one photon, how can a v1 and v2 oscillation both be stimulated by a frequency of (v1 + v2)? Shouldn't it be the lowest common multiple of v1 and v2 which stimulates both vibrations, as only this frequency can be a harmonic of both modes? In other words, the mode v1 can only be stimulated by radiation of frequencies which are multiples of v1, but v1 is not nessecarily a factor of v1+v2!

I can see how the ENERGY of this v1+v2 photon is enough to cause a jump in energy level, but does classical physics have an explanation as well?

Thanks,
Michael

Science news on Phys.org
Do people not understand the question, I can't tell if I've phrased it well at all..

If anyone could help it would save me a lot of time, I am currently working through an intro to spectroscopy book at about 4 pages per hour!

I went to the Wikipedia website to re-read the article on water absorption modes. I don't think the V1, V2, and V3 refer to frequencies; I think they're just the names of the modes. So V1 + V3 would be your superposition of the symmetric and antisymmetric modes. They also have a 2V1 + V3 where I think 2V1 would be the second energy level of the symmetric mode. I guess.

The baffling thing is why the straight modes V1, V2 and V3 are not listed as being strongly absorptive, only the superpositions. I'm wondering if for the straight modes, maybe the positive charge centers (the oxygen and hydorgen nucleii) move about a common center of gravity so there is no net oscillating charge. You only get net charge oscillations when you take the modes in combination?

Thanks,

I think the fundamental modes are always excited because of QM, so transitions are from these "base" modes to higher ones... I think?

The frequencies are added together to get the mode. For example, v2 is at 1550 cm^-1, and v3 is at 3755 cm^-1, so adding these together, and converting to nm gives about 1900 nm, the frequency of the v2+v3 mode.

No, the superposition should be at the difference of the frequencies, not the sum.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a tiny packet of energy that behaves both as a wave and a particle. It is the fundamental unit of light and all other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does a photon interact with a molecule?

When a photon approaches a molecule, it can be absorbed, reflected, or scattered. The type of interaction depends on the energy of the photon and the properties of the molecule.

3. What happens when a photon is incident on a molecule?

If the photon is absorbed, it can cause the molecule to undergo a change in energy level or vibration. If the photon is reflected or scattered, it may be redirected in a different direction or with a different wavelength.

4. Can a photon break a chemical bond in a molecule?

Yes, photons with high enough energy can break chemical bonds in molecules. This process is known as photolysis and is used in certain chemical reactions and in photosynthesis.

5. How do scientists study the interaction between photons and molecules?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as spectroscopy, to study the interaction between photons and molecules. These techniques allow them to measure the energy and frequency of photons as well as the changes in a molecule after interaction.