I choosing classes for school

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on what classes to take during their second semester of senior year to have an emphasis on computers as an electrical engineering major. They have already taken courses in circuits, C programming, logic, computer engineering, electromagnetic fields and waves, VHDL, microprocessor design, hardware-software interface, and controls. They have the option to take advanced electromagnetic fields and waves, advanced electronics, digital communication systems, digital signal processing, and quantum electronics. The individual is specifically interested in computer hardware and is advised to take advanced electronics and digital signal processing, as well as any VLSI design courses offered.
mgough85
Let me start off by saying I am about to start my second semester of my senior year as an electrical engineer. It has always been my interest to design computers, and I have really enjoyed learning about electrical engineering.

So, it would be much appreciated if people on this forum (electrical engineers) could give me pointers on what classes to take to have an emphasis on computers.

Some of my Previous classes:
Typical EE classes (circuits)
C programming
Logic
Computer engineering (a simple assembly class)
Electromagnetic Fields and Waves
VHDL
Microprocessor Design
Hardware-Software Interface (IRQ's, differences in memory, effect of cache... essentially more C programming stuff)
Controls

Availiable Classes for this semester:
Advanced Electromagnetic Fields and Waves
Advanced Electronics (Switching state models of discrete components and integrated circuits)
Digital Communication Systems
Digital Signal Processing
Quantum Electronics (sounds interesting, but is it really useful as an EE undergrad?)

So again, I'd like to have an emphasis in computers
This isn't a complete list of all the classes I have taken, nor all of the classes available. These are just some of the ones I think would help me get an emphasis in computers.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are interested in computer hardware you should definitely take Advanced Electronics. As your second elective you should take Digital Signal Processing. It is very important for applications in digital electronics, for example if you want to build a software radio in an FPGA or DSP you would need knowledge of multirate signal processing. In case your college offers some VLSI design course you should take it.​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.digitalblggr.blogspot.com

Last edited:

As a scientist and an electrical engineer myself, I am happy to provide some advice on choosing classes for your senior year. It's great to hear that you have a strong interest in designing computers and have already taken some relevant courses in your previous semesters. Here are a few suggestions for classes that may further enhance your understanding and skills in this area:

1. Computer Architecture: This class will give you a deeper understanding of how computers are designed and built, including topics such as instruction sets, memory hierarchy, and input/output systems.

2. Operating Systems: This class will cover the fundamental concepts and principles of operating systems, which are crucial for understanding how computers function and how software interacts with hardware.

3. Computer Networks: With the growing importance of networking in today's world, this class will provide you with a solid foundation in the principles and technologies behind computer networks, including protocols, architectures, and security.

4. Embedded Systems: This class will focus on the design and development of computer systems that are integrated into other devices, such as smartphones, cars, and medical equipment. This is a rapidly growing field and having knowledge in this area can be very valuable.

5. Software Engineering: As an electrical engineer, you may not have had much exposure to software development processes and methodologies. This class will teach you the basics of software engineering, including requirements analysis, design, testing, and project management.

In addition to these classes, I would also recommend taking any elective courses related to computer hardware, software, or programming languages that interest you. As for the Quantum Electronics class, while it may not have immediate practical applications in your career as an electrical engineer, it can still be a valuable addition to your knowledge base and may help you think more creatively and critically in your future work.

Overall, my advice would be to choose courses that not only align with your interests and goals but also provide a well-rounded understanding of computers and their applications. Keep in mind that the field of electrical engineering is constantly evolving, so it's important to have a strong foundation in both traditional and emerging technologies. Best of luck in your academic journey!

As a scientist and an electrical engineer myself, I can understand your interest in designing computers and wanting to have an emphasis in that area. Based on the classes you have listed, it seems like you already have a strong foundation in computer engineering and programming. However, there are a few additional classes that I would recommend to further enhance your knowledge and skills in this field.

Firstly, I would suggest taking a class on computer architecture. This will give you a deeper understanding of the design and organization of computer systems, including the components and their interactions. This will be particularly useful if you are interested in designing computer hardware.

Secondly, I would recommend taking a class on operating systems. This will give you an understanding of how software interacts with the hardware and how different components of a computer work together. It will also cover topics such as memory management, process scheduling, and file systems, which are crucial for designing efficient and reliable computer systems.

Another class that could be beneficial is computer networks. This will give you an understanding of how computers communicate with each other and how data is transmitted over a network. As many modern computer systems are connected to networks, this knowledge will be useful for designing and troubleshooting networked systems.

In terms of the classes you have listed for this semester, I think Digital Signal Processing and Digital Communication Systems would be particularly relevant for your interest in computer engineering. These classes will cover topics such as digital signal processing techniques, coding and modulation techniques, and digital communication protocols, which are essential for designing computer systems that can efficiently process and transmit data.

As for Quantum Electronics, while it may not seem directly relevant to computer engineering, it could still be a valuable class to take as it will give you a deeper understanding of electronic devices and their behavior at the quantum level. This could be useful in the design of advanced computer components in the future.

Overall, my advice would be to take a mix of classes that will give you a strong foundation in computer engineering principles, as well as some more specialized classes that will help you develop specific skills and knowledge in this field. I wish you all the best in your studies and future career as an electrical engineer.

1. How do I choose the right classes for my major?

The best way to choose classes for your major is to consult with your academic advisor. They can provide you with a list of required courses and electives that align with your chosen major. It's also important to consider your personal interests and strengths when selecting classes.

2. What is the importance of taking a variety of classes?

Taking a variety of classes can help you explore different subjects and discover new interests. It can also provide you with a well-rounded education and develop important skills, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication.

3. How many classes should I take per semester?

This can vary depending on your personal schedule and workload, but it's generally recommended to take 15-18 credit hours per semester. It's important to also consider your other commitments and make sure you have enough time to devote to each class.

4. Should I take a class just because it's popular or recommended by others?

No, it's important to choose classes that align with your academic and personal goals. While it can be helpful to get recommendations from others, ultimately you should choose classes that you are interested in and will benefit you in the long run.

5. How can I ensure I have a balanced schedule with my classes?

When choosing classes, make sure to consider the workload and difficulty level of each course. Try to balance out more challenging classes with easier ones, and make sure to also include some classes that align with your personal interests. It's also important to spread out your classes throughout the week and not overload on a certain day.