A way to use desktop hd for laptop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using an 80 gig hard drive from a desktop computer as an external hard drive for a laptop. The individuals involved have varying levels of knowledge about computers and are seeking the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish this task. The suggestion is made to use an external hard drive enclosure and connect it to the laptop via USB. It is also mentioned that the laptop can still have Windows XP installed on it.
qwpoi
Hey all,

I can't find information on google about this so either I'm not searching correctly or my question is a silly one.

I am going to have to start using a laptop which comes w/only 10gigs as opposed to my current desktop which has 2 hard drives, a 40 and an 80. Is there's some sort of thing I could use that would enable me to use that 80 gig hard drive on my laptop as an external hard drive? I'm looking for cheapest possible, as well as ease of use (I know those 2 don't really go together, but bear with me.)

Another silly question--the laptop was apparently "made for ME." What the hell does that mean? I can still format the HD and install XP, right?

Thanks everyone,

-betsy

Computer science news on Phys.org
I know that an external HD is basically a typical (internal) HD inside a case with a firewire or USB adapter...if you could get a hold of a dead external HD, you might be able to make use of firewire or USB. just a thought.

Kojac said:
I know that an external HD is basically a typical (internal) HD inside a case with a firewire or USB adapter...if you could get a hold of a dead external HD, you might be able to make use of firewire or USB. just a thought.

Now when you say case...is this a special case?

So, if I just unhook my HD and take it to, say, Circuit City or something, they can tell me what to do? Please note that I, while capable of installing hard drives onto my desktop and knowledgeable about what gigs are, am rather computer illiterate, and am probably completely computer illiterate compared to this crowd.

Thanks,

-betsy

ok, stay out of the inside of the laptop.

Yes, you can put windows XP on it, however, make sure you have atleast 256 mb of ram, and a decent speed cpu, or else you'll be kicking yourself.

as to the hd thing, well,

http://www.xpcgear.com/enclosures.html

should be good to go.

qwpoi said:
Now when you say case...is this a special case?
One of THESE. Its pretty easy: take the 80 gig hard drive out of the old computer, install it in the enclosure and plug it into the laptop via USB. No software needed. I have one (different brand enclosure).

1. How can I use my desktop hard drive with my laptop?

There are a few ways to use a desktop hard drive with a laptop. One option is to use a USB external hard drive enclosure, which allows you to connect the desktop hard drive to your laptop through a USB port. Another option is to use a docking station, which connects the desktop hard drive to your laptop through a docking station. Finally, you can also remove the desktop hard drive from the desktop and install it into the laptop, although this requires some technical knowledge.

2. Can I transfer data from my desktop hard drive to my laptop?

Yes, you can transfer data from your desktop hard drive to your laptop. This can be done through a USB external hard drive enclosure, a docking station, or by installing the desktop hard drive into the laptop. You can also transfer data wirelessly if both devices are connected to the same network.

3. Will using a desktop hard drive with my laptop affect its performance?

It depends on how you are using the desktop hard drive with your laptop. If you are simply transferring data from the desktop hard drive to the laptop, it should not affect the performance. However, if you are using the desktop hard drive as a bootable drive or for other intensive tasks, it may slow down your laptop's performance.

4. Do I need any special software to use a desktop hard drive with my laptop?

No, you do not need any special software to use a desktop hard drive with your laptop. As long as your laptop has the necessary ports or connections (such as USB or a docking station), you can connect the desktop hard drive and access its data. Some external hard drive enclosures may come with software for additional features, but it is not required for basic use.

5. How can I ensure that my desktop hard drive is compatible with my laptop?

To ensure compatibility, you should check the specifications of your laptop and the desktop hard drive. Make sure they have the same connections (such as USB or SATA) and that the laptop has enough power to support the desktop hard drive. If you are using a docking station or external hard drive enclosure, make sure it is compatible with both devices. It is also a good idea to do some research and read reviews from others who have successfully used the same setup.