Calculating Angle of Deviation in a Prism

In summary, the conversation discussed using a ray diagram to determine the angle of deviation for light passing through an equilateral crown glass prism at an angle of incidence of 35 degrees. The angle of refraction into the glass was found to be 20.74 degrees, but the equation to find the angle of deviation was not known. It was suggested to extend two lines on the ray diagram to show the angle of deviation, as the rest can be determined using geometry.
allstar123
light enters the side of an equilateral crown glass (1.62) prism at an angle of incidence of 35deg determin the angleof deviation after it has passed through the prism

i don't know what equation I am supposed to use

i got the angle of refraction into the glass that is 20.74deg but i don't know what I am supposed to do know please hepl

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
am i just supposed to add up the angle of incidence withe angle of refraction

allstar123 said:
am i just supposed to add up the angle of incidence withe angle of refraction

Hello allstar,to get you started sketch a ray diagram to show a ray entering,passing through and then emerging from the prism.The angle of deviation(D) is the angle between the incident and emergent rays.Extend two of the lines on your sketch to show D,the rest is geometry.

1. What is the angle of deviation question?

The angle of deviation question is a question that arises when studying the behavior of light passing through a prism. It refers to the measurement of the angle at which light is bent, or deviated, as it passes through the prism.

2. How is the angle of deviation calculated?

The angle of deviation is calculated by measuring the angle between the incident ray (incoming light) and the refracted ray (light that has passed through the prism). This angle is then compared to the angle of incidence (angle at which the light initially enters the prism), and the difference between the two is the angle of deviation.

3. Why is the angle of deviation important?

The angle of deviation is important because it provides information about the refractive index of a material, which is a measure of how much light is bent when passing through that material. It is also used in many optical instruments, such as spectrometers, to analyze the properties of light.

4. How does the angle of deviation change with different prisms?

The angle of deviation can vary depending on the material and shape of the prism. For example, a triangular prism will have a different angle of deviation compared to a rectangular prism. The angle of deviation also depends on the wavelength of light passing through the prism.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the angle of deviation?

Yes, the angle of deviation has many real-world applications. It is used in the design and construction of lenses for cameras and eyeglasses, as well as in the creation of optical instruments for scientific research. The angle of deviation is also important in the study of atmospheric refraction, which affects how we see objects in the sky.