Experts give your tips for recent graduates

• Thread starter The Prince
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tips
In summary, the conversation covers topics such as job opportunities for recent nuclear engineering graduates, the benefits of pursuing a master's degree or an MBA, potential research areas that could increase job opportunities, the usefulness of studying health physics or biomedical imaging, the most important required skill in the nuclear industry, and the best paid states for nuclear engineers in the US. The speaker also provides a resource for information on nuclear engineering salaries.
The Prince
Hi there ,

I am a recent graduate from nuclear engineering and I need some tips from nuclear experts :

Should I start looking for a job or pursuing a master degree? and what about getting MBA?
What is the most promising research area one should get involved to increase my job opportunities in nuclear industry ?
What do you think about studying Health physics or biomedical imaging ?
What is the most important required skill in nuclear industry?
What are the best paid states for nuclear engineers in US?

Thanks for your cooperation

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Should I start looking for a job or pursuing a master degree? and what about getting MBA?
It depends what you want to do. To work supporting the currently operating power reactors, I'd recommend looking for a job first off. The company will likely have a way to educate you further if you or they desire so.

If you want to do research at a national lab, then you likely need to get a Masters first.

An MBA will only be of use to you if you want to be more of an engineer manager as opposed to an engineer (do you want to keep working with the technical details, or to deal more with people and money?)

What is the most promising research area one should get involved to increase my job opportunities in nuclear industry ?
Honestly, the material condition of the plants seems to be a hot topic now-a-days - so maybe studying the properties of reactor materials under irradiation would be a way to go. In the end, whatever you want to study you can, for all fission-based areas there seem to be plenty of jobs.

What do you think about studying Health physics or biomedical imaging ?
Very useful fields, but that is an area I have no idea what the demand is like. I suppose a benefit is that you can work wherever there is a nice hospital.

What is the most important required skill in nuclear industry?
Is technical competence considered a skill? If so, that. Otherwise it depends highly on the exact job position you are looking in to.
Maybe my final answer is inquisitiveness.

I've only worked in one, and will leave this up to others.

The Prince said:

Check out http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172161.htm"to the bureau of labor statistics info page on nuclear engineering

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some common tips given to recent graduates by experts?

Experts often recommend that recent graduates focus on building their professional network, gaining practical experience through internships or volunteer work, and continuously learning new skills to stay competitive in the job market.

2. How can recent graduates stand out in a crowded job market?

Experts suggest that recent graduates tailor their resumes and cover letters to each job application, showcase their unique skills and experiences, and leverage personal connections or alumni networks for job opportunities.

3. How important is it for recent graduates to have a clear career goal?

While having a clear career goal can be helpful, experts also emphasize the importance of being open to different opportunities and being adaptable in today's rapidly changing job market.

4. How can recent graduates make the most of their first job?

Experts recommend that recent graduates actively seek feedback from their supervisors, take on additional responsibilities, and build relationships with colleagues to gain valuable experience and make a positive impression.

5. What are some common mistakes that recent graduates should avoid in their job search?

According to experts, common mistakes made by recent graduates include not customizing their application materials, not following up after interviews, and not doing enough research on the company or industry before applying for a job.