Tricky calculus question - i've got problems

• Thread starter herraotic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the divergence of a series with a general term of min(an, 1/n), where (an) is a sequence of positive real numbers that are decreasing and have an infinite sum. The conversation also mentions that the proof involves showing that the sequence is monotonic decreasing.
herraotic
Let (an) be a sequence of positive real numbers, decreasing and the sum of whose terms is infinite. Prove that the series whose general term is min(an, 1/n) is also divergent.

I'm sorry but I'm no where with it. Could someone tell me if this is too difficult?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
herraotic said:
Let (an) be a sequence of positive real numbers, decreasing and the sum of whose terms is infinite. Prove that the series whose general term is min(an, 1/n) is also divergent.

I'm sorry but I'm no where with it. Could someone tell me if this is too difficult?

Thanks!

I think that all you have to show here is that it is a monotonic decreasing sequence

nth term -> min (an or 1/n)

for nth+1 term -> min (an+1 or 1/(n+1))

the 'min' function says that you choose 1/n or something lower than 1/n

so you can tell for sure that

an+1 < an

I'm still stumped. Why don't you let me off and show the solution :D :D ;D

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and is used to analyze and model various phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What makes a calculus question tricky?

A calculus question can be considered tricky if it involves complex concepts, multiple steps, or requires creative problem-solving techniques to arrive at the solution.

3. How do I approach a tricky calculus question?

To approach a tricky calculus question, it is important to first understand the underlying concepts and principles involved. Then, break down the question into smaller, more manageable parts and use appropriate techniques and formulas to solve each part. Finally, carefully analyze and interpret the results to arrive at the final solution.

4. What are common challenges when solving tricky calculus questions?

Some common challenges when solving tricky calculus questions include understanding the problem, choosing the right approach, correctly applying formulas and techniques, and avoiding calculation errors. It is also important to check the solution for reasonableness and accuracy.

5. What are some tips for successfully solving tricky calculus questions?

Some tips for successfully solving tricky calculus questions include practicing regularly, understanding the underlying concepts and principles, breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using visual aids and diagrams, and checking your work for errors. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor if needed.