New to calculating automotive formula. Help

In summary, to calculate the acceleration of a vehicle with a mass of X tonne and a tractive effort of Y kN, on a level road with a tractive resistance of 250N, you can use the formula a = F_net/X where F_net is the sum of Y and R (in opposite directions). Be sure to convert tonnes to kilograms and use consistent force units.
Mr Average

Homework Statement

A vehicle has a mass of X tonne. Tractive effort is Y kN. Travelling on a level road. Formula to calculate acceleration is a=f/m and tractive resistance is 250N (for example). How the devil do I work out the acceleration of the vehicle? I am totally stumped.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It's F_net = ma, not F=ma. If you are given the mass of the vehicle, X, and the tractive effort, Y, and the tractive resistance, R, then a = F_net/X, where F_net is the algebraic sum of Y and R (which act in opposite directions). Don't forget to convert tonnes to kilograms, and be consistent with force units.

I'm struggling to find a way to walk you through this without giving the answer away.

You just put what you know in Newtons second law equation. look at the units of the info you are given, then look at the units used in the equation.

Thanks for the offers of help folks.

Hello,

Calculating automotive formulas can be challenging, but with some guidance, it can become easier. Let's break down the information provided to help you understand how to calculate the acceleration of the vehicle.

First, let's define some terms. Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object, and it is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or tonnes (t). Tractive effort is the amount of force that the engine can produce to move the vehicle, and it is usually measured in kilonewtons (kN). Tractive resistance is the force that opposes the motion of the vehicle, and it is typically measured in newtons (N).

Now, let's look at the formula for acceleration, which is a = f/m. This formula tells us that acceleration (a) is equal to the force (f) divided by the mass (m). In this case, the force is the tractive effort (Y kN), and the mass is the vehicle's mass (X tonne). So, the formula for calculating the acceleration of the vehicle is:

a = Y kN / X t

Next, we need to consider the tractive resistance of 250N. This force is opposing the motion of the vehicle, so we need to subtract it from the tractive effort. This will give us the net force that is accelerating the vehicle. The updated formula would then be:

a = (Y kN - 250N) / X t

To calculate the acceleration, simply plug in the values for Y (tractive effort) and X (mass) and solve for a. Remember to keep the units consistent, so convert the mass from tonnes to kilograms if necessary.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate the acceleration of a vehicle. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to reach out. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is an automotive formula?

An automotive formula is a mathematical equation used to calculate various aspects of a vehicle, such as fuel efficiency, engine performance, or weight distribution. These formulas are typically used by engineers and mechanics in the automotive industry to design and optimize vehicles.

2. How do I calculate an automotive formula?

The specific steps for calculating an automotive formula will depend on the specific formula being used. Generally, you will need to gather relevant data such as vehicle specifications and measurements, and then apply the formula using the appropriate mathematical operations. It may be helpful to consult with an expert or reference materials for guidance on the specific formula you are using.

3. Can I use a calculator to calculate automotive formulas?

Yes, a calculator can be a useful tool for calculating automotive formulas. However, it is important to ensure that the calculator's functions and settings are appropriate for the specific formula you are using. Additionally, it is always recommended to double-check your calculations and verify the results with an expert.

4. Are there any resources available for learning about automotive formulas?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about automotive formulas, including textbooks, online tutorials, and training courses. You can also consult with experts in the field or join online communities to ask questions and discuss different formulas and their applications.

5. What are some common automotive formulas that I should know?

Some common automotive formulas include the speed-distance-time formula, the horsepower-torque formula, and the weight distribution formula. However, the specific formulas that are relevant to you will depend on your specific role and responsibilities in the automotive industry.