Question about Phases of the Moon. Thanks

In summary: It would be waning crescent at position D, as the left half of the moon is illuminated and the right half is dark. In summary, the task at hand is to shade the appropriate portions of the Moon's surface, as viewed from space high above the North Pole, based on its position in its orbit around the Earth. The image provided shows the Moon in its orbit, with positions A-E indicated. The correct shading would vary depending on the position, with only half of the Moon's surface being illuminated at any given time. The objective is to shade the diagram based on the Moon's appearance from space, not as viewed from Earth.
nukeman
Ok, here is the problem I have:

Figure 2 shows the Moon in its orbit about the Earth, as viewed from space high above the
North Pole. Copy the figure into your lab book and for each position A − E shade the appropriate
portion of the Moon’s surface as viewed from space, NOT as viewed from Earth.

here is the image:
http://i51.tinypic.com/2coo1lz.jpg

Here is my attempt:
1hwmq8.jpg

Am I correct?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Doesn't look right. Is shaded supposed to mean illuminated or dark?

Only half of the moon's surface is illuminated at any given time -- the half that faces towards the sun.

Then I am doing it wrong, I thought I would have to shade it based on moon phases like waxing cresent and what not.

Any maybe shade one of them, point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

You didn't answer my question. In your attempt, is shaded supposed to mean lit or dark?

As I said before, the side that faces towards the sun is lit (obviously). For example, at position D, the right half of the moon would be lit. The left half would be dark, because it faces away from the sun. Since the left half is the half that faces towards Earth, this position happens to correspond to a new moon phase.

EDIT: Well, new moon would be somewhere between D and E, when they're all completely aligned.

Last edited:
Ahhhh. I see.

So, just so I make I got this right, let's take E

Its in Wax Cresent correct?

So, the small sliver of moon showing, would be on the right side ?

nukeman said:
Ahhhh. I see.

The question asks for the shading as seen from space, NOT as viewed from the Earth. What would the Moon look like looking down from a distance high above the North pole?

nukeman said:
Ahhhh. I see.

No, you don't.

cepheid said:
Only half of the moon's surface is illuminated at any given time -- the half that faces towards the sun.

cepheid said:
As I said before, the [half] that faces towards the sun is lit

nukeman said:

No! That is how it would appear from EARTH, but that's only because observers on Earth cannot see all of the illuminated side from their vantage point. That doesn't change the fact that there is always an illuminated side -- one entire half of the surface is always lit, which means that at every single one of the positions shown, you will have half of the surface shaded and half not shaded.

Right, so half moon is always lit.

So then, the following diagram is correct?

http://i55.tinypic.com/bj5t20.jpg

Note: the dotted part of the moon is the lit portion.

anyone? :)

nukeman said:

nukeman said:

That is correct.
But, for future reference, the common notation is to shade in the... erm... shade. :)

nukeman said:

Now, that is correct, which of the Moon positions A − E best corresponds to the lunar phase shown?

Well, you can eliminate a, b, and c, because they are either mostly lit, or half lit, and this picture is clearly mostly dark.

So, it's between E and D. Which position would allow you to see a sliver of light on the left part of the moon?

Archosaur said:
Well, you can eliminate a, b, and c, because they are either mostly lit, or half lit, and this picture is clearly mostly dark.

So, it's between E and D. Which position would allow you to see a sliver of light on the left part of the moon?

Is it wanning crescent?

Yes.

1. What are the phases of the moon?

The phases of the moon refer to the different appearances of the moon as it orbits around the Earth. These phases include new moon, waxing crescent, first quarter, waxing gibbous, full moon, waning gibbous, third quarter, and waning crescent.

2. How long does each phase of the moon last?

The length of each phase of the moon varies depending on the location and time of year. On average, each phase lasts about 3.5 days, but it can range from 1.9 days to 7.4 days.

3. What causes the phases of the moon?

The phases of the moon are caused by the changing positions of the moon, Earth, and the sun. As the moon orbits around the Earth, the amount of sunlight that reflects off its surface changes, causing the different phases.

4. Why does the moon appear to change shape?

The moon does not actually change shape, but rather its position in relation to the sun and Earth causes it to appear differently. As the moon moves around the Earth, the amount of sunlight that reaches its surface changes, creating the different phases.

5. Can I see all phases of the moon from any location on Earth?

No, the phases of the moon that are visible depend on the location and time of year. For example, the phases seen in the northern hemisphere may differ from those seen in the southern hemisphere. Additionally, the time of year can affect the angle at which the moon is visible, therefore affecting which phases can be seen.