Is sex an integral part of love

In summary, "true love" requires sex, passion, and intimacy. However, it is up to the individual to decide what they believe "true love" to be.
DanP said:
You have been pointed to the relevant material. Read the material regarding taxonomy of love. It;s Sternberg ( a psych with Oklahoma state uni) work.

No I have not.

It is your claim, the onus is on you to provide the references.

Please ensure your reference includes a definition of "true love", which is what I have requested you stop using without a definition.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
No I have not.

It is your claim, the onus is on you to provide the references.

Please ensure your reference includes a definition of "true love", which is what I have requested you stop using without a definition.

Go and Google Sternberg's work. It has been explicitly pointed to you time and again. If you refuse , its your problem. But it doesn't hurt one to educate himself.

DanP said:
Go and Google Sternberg's work. It has been explicitly pointed to you time and again.

Simple name-dropping is not providing a reference. There is no reference to this term "true love" in his works. You are called out as inventing unsubstantiated terms.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Simple name-dropping is not providing a reference. There is no reference to this term "true love" in his works. You are called out as inventing unsubstantiated terms.

Its a ppular term used for consummate love. Have you ever heard it in your life on streets ? Maybe you or someone should write a PhD on the subject of how ppl on streets call this ?

DanP said:
Its a ppular term used for consummate love. Have you ever heard it in your life on streets ? Maybe you or someone should write a PhD on the subject of how ppl on streets call this ?
Seconds ago, you were criticizing me for not Googling Sternberg - the reference you "explicitly pointed me to time and again". Now I've called you out on that, you're trying to criticize me because you're claiming it's a colloquialism.

You are now resorting to sarcastic slurs instead of simply explaining your use of the term. These are ad hominems, the last resort of someone who's lost an argument.

"True love" is a term with no definition. All I requested is that you stop using it.

DaveC426913 said:
Seconds ago, you were criticizing me for not Googling Sternberg - the reference you "explicitly pointed me to time and again". Now I've called you out on that, you're trying to criticize me because you're claiming it's a colloquialism.

No, you was asking

Do you have references for these definitions of love as distinct from love? Or are these just your own opinions on the matter?

And an answer was given to you. The name of the theory, and its creator.

DaveC426913 said:
You are now resorting to sarcastic slurs instead of simply explaining your use of the term. These are ad hominems, the last resort of someone who's lost an argument.

It was explained in post 11, but it escaped you. It was also the post in which I mentioned first time Sternberg.

Companionate love: commitment, NO PASSION, intimacy

"True" love is called consumate love in his taxonomy , and pretty much requires all 3 components, passion , intimacy and commitment.

DaveC426913 said:
"True love" is a term with no definition. All I requested is that you stop using it.

It was defined for you. It's a folk term, and post 11 equates it to consummate love. Post 11 also gives an answer what intimacy and commitment without passion is. All you had to do to see what I mean with that term is to read carefully all posts in the thread.

End of thread.