Do women find men in wheelchairs attractive?

• Thread starter lamelegs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, the conversation discusses whether women find men in wheelchairs attractive. The general consensus is that a man's attractiveness is not solely determined by his disability, but rather by his personality and character. Some suggest that a wheelchair can even be seen as an asset in attracting certain types of women. The conversation also delves into the challenges of dating while in a wheelchair and the importance of finding someone who loves and accepts you for who you are.
lamelegs

Physics news on Phys.org
lamelegs said:
Sure, why not?

only if the chair is painted candy apple red with multi-colored plastic streamers coming out of the handles.
only if he remembers to put on the breaks before transferring.
only if he let's me ride in the chair too.
only if he uses courtesies on the street and else where when out and about.
only if he does not use his chair as a weapon.
only if he has an effective but not alarming horn or bell for use on the street.
only if it is geared with reflectors.
only if it is well maintained for safety and comfort.

And then not at all.

Why would a woman be attracted to a man unless he was of good character, and had a strong, and solid history of good deeds?

I once went on a boat cruise with my girlfriend and a group of engineering graduate students. Perhaps its different for guy-> girl than girl-> guy, but when people were dancing/etc there was a girl in a wheelchair that I honestly thought was MUCH more attractive than any other girl there (sans my GF obv? :) )

While wheelchairs might be a hindrance in first introductions to people that you might possibly have a CASUAL romantic relationship with (that don't last long), I don't think it'll stop the real infatuation-at-first-sight kind of attraction.

You have a GIRLFRIEND?! heart... breaking...

back on topic, yeah of course!
It doesn't really matter - if you like the guy, it really doesn't matter if he's in a wheelchair or doesn't have a face or whatever. you are in love! you love them!

what condition puts them in the wheelchair? will that condition stop them from being able to do certain things??

nucleargirl said:
You have a GIRLFRIEND?! heart... breaking...

I don’t, but sometimes I feel like I’m wasting my time looking. It’s hard to approach women when the majority of them are uncomfortably around me. The ones that are okay with the wheelchair are either: Married, just want to be friends, or wouldn’t consider dating someone in a wheelchair, which is fine, but it doesn’t leave me with many options.

Edin_Dzeko said:
what condition puts them in the wheelchair? will that condition stop them from being able to do certain things??

I have Duchenne’s Muscular Dystrophy, and no it doesn’t!

well.

first: you actually are lucky in a sense, since if there are girls that will not date you becaue you are in a wheelchair, you don't get to spend time, and possibly money, on dates with superficial girls, figuring out that they are superficial.

second: it might not be the wheelchair... there are women out ther that are already taken, and some only want to be friends... that is the same for other guys as well. I don't want to date every guy I meet, either.

and, I am a girl, I am considerably healthy, considered quite smart by most of my friends, not ugly, quite communicative - and had bad luck finding a guy recently (like, the last 2.5 years)...

I think, after a while it ist a lack of confidence, no matter how you started out. just don't let it get to you. and don't put on the pressure.

have you, btw, ever tried to see your wheelchair as an "extra"? as an asset in some sense? I bet, there is a lot of things that you can do with it, that might get girls interested... if you like geeky girls, attach a few gadgets, for example. i would sure find that interesting.

CheshireKat said:
and, I am a girl, I am considerably healthy, considered quite smart by most of my friends, not ugly, quite communicative - and had bad luck finding a guy

Any application forms available? :biggrin:

radou said:

o:) not yet, but where should I send one to? :wink:

radou said:

we could use Helixe's form from the other thread :) we seem to be in the same boat...

yeah like cheshirekat says, you'll at least be screening out those superficial girls who only like guys for the way they look etc. and its not always cos of the wheelchair, people with no physical handicaps have problems finding a guy/girl too.
and when you do meet the right person, they won't care that you're in a wheelchair if they love you.

CheshireKat said:
o:) not yet, but where should I send one to? :wink:

nucleargirl said:
we could use Helixe's form from the other thread :) we seem to be in the same boat...

Good idea! :cool:

nucleargirl said:

one would suppose that guys willing to fill out an application form yould go for that thread anyway... *headscratch*

CheshireKat said:
one would suppose that guys willing to fill out an application form yould go for that thread anyway... *headscratch*

Actually, I have traumas from filling out application forms. I hate them. But for a higher cause...I'd be willing to fill one out. :wink:

a higher cause - THAt's what it's called today?

the female airline personnel were competing over who would push me to the plane in boston. so i say perhaps yes; ... attractive is maybe not the right word, but it felt the same. Of course the plane was not very full, so it was kind of a slow day for amusement. It may also help if one is handsome, witty, urbane, and accompanied by a gorgeous and scintillating wife,...or at least those were the observed conditions.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
It may also help if one is handsome, witty, urbane, ...

I guess that always helps, on both sides actually.

mathwonk said:
It may also help if one is handsome, witty, urbane,

CheshireKat said:
I guess that always helps, on both sides actually.

I'm handsome on both sides, but one side of me is definitely wittier than the other.

Wait! Did you mean both sides as in front and back or both sides as in right and left. If right and left, both sides are witty, but one side is definitely more handsome than the other.

BobG said:
Wait! Did you mean both sides as in front and back or both sides as in right and left. If right and left, both sides are witty, but one side is definitely more handsome than the other.

let me think, maybe sometimes the upside and the downside, but for sure most often the right side and the wrong side.. and since I believe in murphy, of course the butterside.

1. Do women find men in wheelchairs less attractive than men who can walk?

No, attractiveness is subjective and varies from person to person. Some women may find men in wheelchairs attractive while others may not. It ultimately depends on personal preferences and individual characteristics.

2. Are men in wheelchairs seen as less masculine and therefore less desirable?

No, masculinity is not defined by physical ability or mobility. Men in wheelchairs can still possess the qualities typically associated with masculinity, such as strength, confidence, and assertiveness.

3. Do women feel uncomfortable or intimidated by men in wheelchairs?

Some women may feel uncomfortable or intimidated due to societal stigma and misconceptions surrounding disability. However, this does not apply to all women and should not be assumed as a universal truth. It is important to treat each individual as an equal and not make assumptions based on their physical abilities.

4. Are there certain types of disabilities or wheelchairs that are seen as more attractive?

Attraction is highly subjective and cannot be generalized to specific disabilities or types of wheelchairs. Each person has their own unique preferences and what may be attractive to one person may not be to another.

5. How can men in wheelchairs enhance their attractiveness?

The same principles of attractiveness apply to men in wheelchairs as they do to able-bodied men. Confidence, a good sense of humor, and being a kind and genuine person are all attractive qualities. Additionally, finding ways to show off their unique personalities and interests can make them more attractive to potential partners.