Simple Free Body Diagram question

In summary, the question involves a helicopter with a mass of 6500 kg accelerating upward at .6 m/s^2 while lifting a car with a mass of 1200 kg. The diagram should show the weight of both objects acting down and the force of the air acting up. The net force will act up since the acceleration is upward. The formula for calculating net force is the force of the air minus the sum of the weights. It is important to correctly identify the direction of the forces in order to accurately solve the problem.
psycovic23
I have a question in my textbook that I can't answer for the life of me.

"A 6500-kg helicopter accelerates upward at .6 m/s^2 while lifting a 1200-kg car. (a) what is the lift force exerted by the air on the rotors?"

Now, my diagram has a vector pointing up with a force of (6500*9.8)N. There is also a vector pointing down at (1200*9.8)N. Wouldn't the net force then be equal to the force of the pull minus the force of the weight? Fn-(6500*9.8)-(1200*9.8) = net force

Or am I completely wrong? At the moment, having read this section multiple times, I'm still having trouble grasping this whole natural force and the summation of the forces = ma. My teacher doesn't really help much as she isn't the greatest teacher either...

Physics news on Phys.org
weight acts down

psycovic23 said:
Now, my diagram has a vector pointing up with a force of (6500*9.8)N.
Why would the weight of the helicopter point up?
There is also a vector pointing down at (1200*9.8)N.
Right.
Wouldn't the net force then be equal to the force of the pull minus the force of the weight? Fn-(6500*9.8)-(1200*9.8) = net force
Yes, if by Fn you mean the force of the air on the rotors. (It looks like you changed your mind about the direction of the helicopter's weight!)

Your force diagram should show the weight of both acting down, and the force of the air acting up. The net force acts up, since we know the acceleration is up.

Oooohhhhhhhh...I see what I did wrong! For some reason, I was thinking the weight of the helicopter was...um...tension up or something. I don't know, but thank you very much!

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation used in physics to show the forces acting on an object. It is a simplified drawing of an object with all external forces, such as gravity, tension, and friction, represented as arrows pointing in the direction of the force.

2. How do I draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, first identify the object you want to draw and all the external forces acting on it. Then, draw a dot or a box to represent the object and draw arrows to represent each external force, labeling them accordingly. Remember to draw the arrows in the correct direction and to include a coordinate system to indicate the positive and negative directions.

3. Why are free body diagrams important?

Free body diagrams are important because they help us understand the forces acting on an object and how those forces affect its motion. They are also useful in problem-solving, as they allow us to break down complex situations into simpler ones and identify the key forces at play.

4. Can I use a free body diagram for any object?

Yes, free body diagrams can be used for any object, regardless of its shape or size. They are particularly useful when dealing with objects in motion or when analyzing the forces that act on an object at rest.

5. Are free body diagrams always accurate?

Free body diagrams are a simplified representation of a real-life situation, so they may not always be completely accurate. However, they are a useful tool for understanding and analyzing forces in physics problems and can provide a good approximation of the forces at play.