Is Rice Healthy or Harmful for Your Diet?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary: I could go on and on.In summary, rice is the major food of Asians. Do you eat rice? I love rice, I could eat it every day. but whitepeople seldom eat rice. Not this whiteboy!
Saint
Rice is the major food of Asians.

But whitepeople seldom eat rice.

Do you eat rice?

Physics news on Phys.org
I love rice, I could eat it every day.

Likes gracy
Saint said:
But whitepeople seldom eat rice.

Not this whiteboy!

I love cajun food and soul food. I eat red beans and rice, dirty rice (that's cajun style), brown rice, chicken and rice, etc... on a regular basis. I also like rice pudding. :tongue:

I am an Asian American, and live in Asia. I eat rice everyday for dinner. but sometimes I would like to try some western food (Eg, bread for breakfast, and maybe other wester food for lunch at school) because rice does not taste that good if we eat it three times a day.

I despise rice. It has no taste. It feels as if i am inhaling air and pretending to chew something.

dekoi said:
I despise rice. It has no taste. It feels as if i am inhaling air and pretending to chew something.

I'd have to agree about plain white rice, but not brown rice. Also, what you probably don't know is that plain white rice has this wonderful quality of absorbing the flavor of whatever you cook it in. Last Sunday my friends and I made a good cajun dinner, and one of them (my roommate) made this incredible spicy rice dish that could have been a main course in itself.

Last edited:
I eat rice probably four times a week or more. I don't eat plain white rice by itself -- it's almost always soaked up some kind of sauce. Rice soaked in panang curry sauce is to die for. Oh, and I'm a white person.

Saint, you really need to stop making so many sweeping generalizations. You really seem to be almost always wrong.

- Warren

Could it be considered immoral for whitemen to eat white rice?

I have consumed great quantities of rice over the course of my life. I like it tacky, greasy, watery, even slightly crunchy from over-cooking. Did I hear Tom say 'red beans...', mmmmm, such is a spice of life!

BoulderHead said:
I have consumed great quantities of rice over the course of my life. I like it tacky, greasy, watery, even slightly crunchy from over-cooking. Did I hear Tom say 'red beans...', mmmmm, such is a spice of life!

I like the kind with the peas in it at the Indian Food restaurant. I also like white rice piled high with Korean Bulgogi Beef and hot chili paste. :cool:

Hey Saint - do you ever eat cornbread and chitlin's?

I eat rice constantly. White rice, brown rice and basmati(sp) are my favorites. Basmati and White are both close together.

Then sauces: Soy Sauce, Hot Sauce, Cream and Chicken Soup, Butter Chicken Sauce. Anyone of those are good, mixing the sauces is great too.

I eat rice at least 5 times a week. (Arabic food!)

I love rice!

Don't they process it differently here in American than they do in Asia, though?

As luck would have it, I am at this very moment microwaving something called 'Chicken enchilada suiza' which includes Mexican (spicy) rice.

For some reason I just had a flashback to my childhood. In those days the drugstore sold a little plastic box containing a dozen "Mexican jumping beans." Mom would never buy that for me, because she said she didn't want bugs getting into the house. The bean hopped around because it had some sort of active insect living inside of it, eating its way out, kind of like how a chick pecks its way out of the egg, I guess.

I'm with you Janitor, I like those frozen enchilada suizas. My favorite way to eat rice is with chile verde and refried beans at my local Mexican resturant. Their chili verde is special, and hot! both ways.

Refried and totally free of insects--I hear you, man.

I'm an Asian and I don't know any Asians who eat plain white rice all on its own. There is NO taste in that kind of rice. Most people I know cook dishes with lots of gravy to add to their rice. For most of the week, this is what I have, except on Sundays when we have wholemeal bread the whole day with baked beans, sausages, etc.

I guess this probably explains the cheap living expenditure, Evo. :tongue2:

All rice, any rice, any time.

I eat rice every day

Mmmm...rice is good. It goes really well with any dish that has a lot of sauce or juice. I don't like plain rice, but mix anything with it, and it's very yummy. Aside from white rice and brown rice, I really like risotto, though that takes more attention than regular rice. I have all sorts of rice in my cabinets at home...regular long grain, jasmine rice, nishiki rice (I think that's the name of it...the Japanese short grain rice for sushi), and brown rice. Mixing together brown rice and wild rice, which isn't actually rice but looks like it, and some walnuts and sauteed mushrooms and onions makes a tasty side dish.

chroot said:
Saint, you really need to stop making so many sweeping generalizations. You really seem to be almost always wrong.

Seconded. Seriously, what gives, Saint?

Anyway, I'm 'white' and I love rice. Especially brown rice but just about any rice will do as long as it doesn't have too many spices on it. I'm not a big fan of spice.

i eat rice every day .. but my most favourite is the hot spicy rice (indian one!)

A little deviation here but I suddenly remembered how us Chinese have been parodied in some t.v. shows to pronounce "white rice" as "white lice" and "coca cola" as "whore lock" , it really cracked me up :biggrin: .

recon said:
I'm an Asian and I don't know any Asians who eat plain white rice all on its own. There is NO taste in that kind of rice. Most people I know cook dishes with lots of gravy to add to their rice. For most of the week, this is what I have, except on Sundays when we have wholemeal bread the whole day with baked beans, sausages, etc.

I guess this probably explains the cheap living expenditure, Evo. :tongue2:
That could explain it. :biggrin:

I love rice, specially the basmati.

From what I understand, white rice in America is brown bleached rice, therefore, giving it the white appearance. I do eat white rice occasionally, and yes, I like it plain with a bit of pepper. Consider my tastes dry, but it's good.

I eat rice :D.

I prefer potatoes and rice over spagetthi as base-food.

Is brown rice any good? I'm planning to make some beans with rice today,which rice should I cook?

From my experience brown rice pairs with beans and meat rather well. If you're wanting anything with a southwestern style, brown rice is the way to go.

Rice has been a regular for me for many years, and of all the rice I've ever tried brown basmati is my favorite. It is called "aromatic" rice because while cooking it fills the house with a smell that reminds me of popcorn.

I only eat brown rice, and a secret I've learned is to cook one cup of rice (with two cups of water of course), set the heat so that it takes exactly 40 minutes to cook. That way the emphasis is on figuring out where to turn your burner nob. You will get perfect rice every time. I usually cook it just a few seconds longer to slightly burn (brown, not blacken) the bottom layer of rice; then I let it sit covered off the burner for awhile so the bottom stuff reabsorbs some of the moisture. That crunchy part mixed in with the rest of the rice is really good.

Oh yeah, now I have a rice cooker and don't have to worry about anything!

Last edited:
Allright :biggrin: I'm going with brown rice today.One more thing; does brown rice is more nutrishious and healthy to eat than white?

tumor said:
Allright :biggrin: I'm going with brown rice today.One more thing; does brown rice is more nutrishious and healthy to eat than white?

Yes, like almost all foods, the less processing the better nutrients are retained (white rice is more processed). All brown rice isn't the same however. Short grain, for instance, is more chewy than long grain. Another type of "aromatic" rice is Jasmine rice, also very good (I still think Basmati is the best tho).

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
Hey Saint - do you ever eat cornbread and chitlin's?

No, i eat bread made of wheat flour.

Saint said:
No, i eat bread made of wheat flour.

Do you know what chitlin's are? :blushing: