Quantum Transmission Coefficient

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the absolute value of a transmission coefficient, which is given by the expression T=|t|^2. The suggested method is to take the complex conjugate of both the numerator and denominator separately, making the calculation much simpler.
PineApple2
Hello. I have a question, mathematical in nature.
Considering a potential step of height V0 and width a, the amplitude coefficient is
[tex]
t=\frac{2k_1k_2e^{-ik_1a}}{2k_1k_2\cos{k_2a}-i(k_1^2+k_2^2)\sin(k_2a)}
[/tex]
Now the transmission coefficient is
[tex]
T=|t|^2
[/tex]
So I need to find the absolute value of this expression. I thought about taking the complex conjugate of the denominator and multiply both the numerator and the denominator by this factor (in order to make the denominator real). but this is very messy.
Is there a simpler way to find the absolute value of this expression?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Much simpler. Take the complex conjugate of both the numerator and the denominator separately. If t = N/D, then |t|2 = N*N/D*D

Bill_K said:
Much simpler. Take the complex conjugate of both the numerator and the denominator separately. If t = N/D, then |t|2 = N*N/D*D

You are of course correct. Thanks for this obvious answer :-)

What is Quantum Transmission Coefficient?

Quantum Transmission Coefficient is a measure of the probability that a particle will pass through a barrier or potential without being reflected or absorbed.

How is Quantum Transmission Coefficient calculated?

Quantum Transmission Coefficient is calculated using the wave function of the particle and the barrier or potential it is interacting with.

What is the significance of Quantum Transmission Coefficient in quantum mechanics?

Quantum Transmission Coefficient is significant because it provides insight into the behavior of particles at the quantum level and can be used to predict the behavior of systems in quantum mechanics.

Can Quantum Transmission Coefficient be greater than 1?

No, Quantum Transmission Coefficient is a probability and therefore cannot be greater than 1.

How does Quantum Transmission Coefficient differ from classical transmission coefficient?

Quantum Transmission Coefficient takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and the uncertainty principle, while classical transmission coefficient assumes particles behave like classical particles with well-defined trajectories.