How do I integrate trigonometric functions raised to even powers?

In summary, the inner product is a mathematical operation that assigns a scalar value to two functions. The basis is a set of functions that can be used to represent any other function in a vector space. The problem being discussed involves finding integrals of the form \displaystyle \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin^{a}\theta\cos^b (2\theta) \ d\theta. The first integral to solve is \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin^4\theta \ d\theta, which can be rewritten as \displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\left(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{2
Dustinsfl
Inner product:

[itex]\displaystyle <f,g>=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}fg \ dx=\begin{cases}0 & \ \text{if} \ f=g\\1 & \ \text{if} \ f\neq g\end{cases}[/itex]

Basis:
[itex]\displaystyle\left\{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\cos\theta, \sin\theta,\cdots\right\}[/itex]

I am trying to remember how to integrals of the form:

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin^{a}\theta\cos^b (2\theta) \ d\theta[/itex]

However, I getting no where.

I left some guidance with these two integrals and I should be good to go then.

[itex]\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin^4\theta \ d\theta[/itex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\left(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{2}\right)^2 \ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\left(\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2-\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{2}\right)^2 \ d\theta[/tex]

Now, I am drawing a blank.

The other one I need guidance on is:

[itex]\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin^4\theta\cos(2\theta) \ d\theta[/itex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\left(\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2-\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{2}\right)^2\cos(2\theta) \ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\frac{\cos(4\theta)\cos(2\theta)}{4} \ d\theta[/tex]

Now I am stuck again.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dustinsfl said:
The other one I need guidance on is:

[itex]\displaystyle\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin^4\theta\cos(2\theta) \ d\theta[/itex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\left(\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2-\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{2}\right)^2\cos(2\theta) \ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\frac{\cos(4\theta)\cos(2\theta)}{4} \ d\theta[/tex]

Now I am stuck again.

Bad math:

[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\sin^4\theta\cos(2\theta) \ d\theta=[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\left[\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{4}-\frac{\cos^2(2\theta)}{2}+\frac{\cos(2\theta)* \cos^2(2\theta)}{4}\right] \ d\theta=[/tex]
[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\left[\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{4}-\left(\frac{1}{4}+\frac{\cos(4\theta)}{4}\right)+\frac{\cos(2\theta)}{8}+\frac{\cos(2\theta)*\cos(4\theta)}{8}\right] \ d\theta[/tex]
(the Latex is correct so I don't know why it is all jacked up)

[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\left[\frac{3\cos(2\theta)}{8}-\frac{1}{4}-\frac{\cos(4\theta)}{4}+\frac{\cos(2\theta)*\cos(4\theta)}{8}\right] \ d\theta[/tex]

Can anyone provide any guidance?

1. What is the definition of integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that is used to find the area under a curve in a given interval. It involves dividing the area into smaller sections and summing them up to get an approximation of the total area.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the exact value of the area under a curve in a specific interval, while indefinite integration involves finding a general antiderivative of a function without specifying an interval.

3. What is the relationship between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are inverse operations of each other. Integration is used to find the original function from its derivative, while differentiation is used to find the derivative of a given function.

4. What is the significance of the integration constant in indefinite integration?

The integration constant is a constant term that is added when finding the general antiderivative of a function. It takes into account all possible solutions of the indefinite integral and allows for the addition of any missing information.

5. How is integration used in real-life applications?

Integration is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve real-life problems. It is used to find the velocity and acceleration of an object, determine the area under a sales curve, and calculate the work done by a force, among other applications.