Statistics, how do you translate Bin(n,p) to say N(,) etc

• Thread starter mathpariah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary: I find the np and n(1-p)>5 limits curious but I can live with that. Id be immensly appreciative if someone could look at my other questions too. does anyone know of a good summary website of basic distribution and WHEN to use which. like bin, po, N, chi square and t
mathpariah
hey guys, some hopefully easy stat questions if you will

Im wondering about translating one statistical distribution to another, like going from:

Bin(n,p) to N(np,sqrt(npq)) where q=1-p

or that Po(au) is roughly equal to N(xu,sqrt(xu))

Im mostly sitting scratching my head on which method to use on each and every problem I am solving (Im studying for an exam in march). is there any chart or a really good and lightweight summary somewhere that can shed some light on this? like which method to use and how you can and why you need to translate them to another method, like in the examples above

Im also wondering when you need to use a two-sided interval, like youre going from a 95% to 97.5% by using 1-a/2 where a is the level

I could really use some help and would be grateful for any input

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mathpariah said:
hey guys, some hopefully easy stat questions if you will

Im wondering about translating one statistical distribution to another, like going from:

Bin(n,p) to N(np,sqrt(npq)) where q=1-p

or that Po(au) is roughly equal to N(xu,sqrt(xu))

Im mostly sitting scratching my head on which method to use on each and every problem I am solving (Im studying for an exam in march). is there any chart or a really good and lightweight summary somewhere that can shed some light on this? like which method to use and how you can and why you need to translate them to another method, like in the examples above

Im also wondering when you need to use a two-sided interval, like youre going from a 95% to 97.5% by using 1-a/2 where a is the level

I could really use some help and would be grateful for any input

thanks

To answer the first question, only if n*p and n*(1-p) are both 5 or greater can you use the normal distribution to approximate the binomial distribution. If these conditions are satisfied, then the binomial probability of exactly X successes in n trials approximately = the normal probability of getting a value between X-.5 and X+.5, with mean=np and sd=sqrt(npq). The binomial probability of the number of successes being less than or equal to X approximately = the normal probability of getting a value less than or equal to X+.5. The binomial probability of the number of successes being greater than or equal to X approximately = the normal probability of the number of successes being greater than or equal to X-.5.

moonman239 said:
To answer the first question, only if n*p and n*(1-p) are both 5 or greater can you use the normal distribution to approximate the binomial distribution. If these conditions are satisfied, then the binomial probability of exactly X successes in n trials approximately = the normal probability of getting a value between X-.5 and X+.5, with mean=np and sd=sqrt(npq). The binomial probability of the number of successes being less than or equal to X approximately = the normal probability of getting a value less than or equal to X+.5. The binomial probability of the number of successes being greater than or equal to X approximately = the normal probability of the number of successes being greater than or equal to X-.5.

thanks moonman.. I find the np and n(1-p)>5 limits curious but I can live with that.

Id be immensly appreciative if someone could look at my other questions too. does anyone know of a good summary website of basic distribution and WHEN to use which. like bin, po, N, chi square and t

thanks

1. What does the notation Bin(n,p) mean in statistics?

The notation Bin(n,p) represents a binomial distribution, where n represents the total number of trials and p represents the probability of success for each trial. This distribution is used to model the number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials.

2. How do you calculate the mean and standard deviation of a binomial distribution?

The mean of a binomial distribution is calculated by multiplying the number of trials (n) by the probability of success (p). The standard deviation can be calculated using the formula √(np(1-p)).

3. What is the difference between Bin(n,p) and N(μ,σ2)?

Bin(n,p) represents a discrete probability distribution, while N(μ,σ2) represents a continuous probability distribution. Bin(n,p) is used for discrete data, while N(μ,σ2) is used for continuous data.

4. How can you use the binomial distribution to solve real-world problems?

The binomial distribution can be used to model and predict the probability of success or failure in a given number of trials. This can be applied to real-world scenarios such as predicting the success rate of a new product launch or the probability of winning a game of chance.

5. Can the binomial distribution be approximated by the normal distribution?

Yes, the binomial distribution can be approximated by the normal distribution when the number of trials (n) is large and the probability of success (p) is not too close to 0 or 1. This approximation is known as the central limit theorem and is commonly used in statistics.