Anyone heard of the solar snake Solar system theory?

In summary, the solar snake theory is a theory that suggests the solar system is not on a flat plane but shaped like a cone with the sun at its apex. This theory was proposed by Dr. Bhat, and has been proven false by observing the sun at different times of the year. Anyone heard of this theory before?
esj001
Anyone heard of the "solar snake" Solar system theory?

hello this is my first post and i am far from being a physicist or an astronomy major so please bear with me

A friend sent me this link

Mod note: link removed

this man named Dr. Bhat wrote a book explaining how the solar system is not on a flat plane but shaped like a cone with the sun at its apex, he claims the ancients knew this was true, he also claims that it can be proven that the Earth does not orbit the sun and this can be proven by

observing the sun at 12 noon on the summer solstice it lies in a certian constellation ( i don't remember which)

then observe the sun on 12 noon of the winter solstice and it should lie in a constellation that is directly opposite the to the other constellation, if the Earth orbits the sun----but he claims it does not and thus proves that the Earth does not rotate around the sun

he also claims it can be proven by watching the angles of the rings on saturn at different times of the year---but that explanation was over my head

he calls it the helical helix or twin vortex theory

Reading this link blew my mind, thinking it might be true

So i figured i would ask some smart folks if this was total quackery

What say you?

Thanks for any and all responses

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org

esj001, Welcome to Physics Forums! This is a place with real scientists, engineers, and many experienced people, all willing to assist you to learn.

As for your link to Dr. Bhat, I visited there. My response it to send you these:

Here is a “Baloney Detector” by Michael Shermer. It has ten questions to help you discover crackpot theories: http://homepages.wmich.edu/~korista/baloney.html

Here is another list of questions to ask to help determine the validity when presented with a new “theory” from Carl Sagan:
http://www.carlsagan.com/index_ideascontent.htm

thank you for the links Bobbywhy

this man is definitely guilty of almost all of these things--especially number 3 on the first link (no seems to have verified this mans claims except him and his circle i suppose)

It sounded very far fetched and could be tested very easy but in my ignorance of astromomy and my willingness to believe conspiracies---- i had to ask

im sure any first year astronomy student could tell me this is false because the sun at noon on the summer solstice lies in "constellation A" and noon on winter solstice lies in "constellation B" which is direct opposite proving this guy wrong

is he at least right in saying that this belief was held by some ancient people that didnt know better?

Good call esj.

And now that you're convinced he's a crackpot, we can prevent this thread from garnering any more negative attention. PF rules forbid links to crackpottery.

The heliocentric model of the solar system has been exhaustively proven to be true. To suggest in the 21st century that it is cone shaped or helical (and that modern equipment deceives us but bronze aged tribes knew better) is pure crazy :rolleyes:

Thanks all-----sorry about the link to a crackpots "theory"----i didn't read the rules---when i have a much tougher problem to figure out i will come here again----thread over i guess

esj001 said:
he also claims that it can be proven that the Earth does not orbit the sun and this can be proven by [. . .]

The National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA) - Solar System Exploration notes this:

1543: Nicolaus Copernicus publishes, On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres describing his heliocentric (sun-centered) model of the solar system.

1610: First observations of sunspots through a telescope by Galileo Galilei and Thomas Harriot. Galileo's observations of Jupiter confirm our solar system is sun-centered.
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=Sun&Display=OverviewLong

Ancient astronomers believed that the Earth was the center of the Universe, and that the sun and all the other stars revolved around the Earth. Copernicus proved that Earth and the other planets in our solar system orbit our sun.
http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/profile.cfm?Object=SolarSys&Display=OverviewLong

You might like to learn more about our solar system by exploring the links
(urls). Best wishes to you. :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is the solar snake theory?

The solar snake theory suggests that there is a large, invisible "snake" of dark matter that orbits the sun and interacts with planets, affecting their orbits and potentially explaining certain astronomical anomalies.

2. How did the solar snake theory come about?

The solar snake theory was proposed by astrophysicist Dr. David Nesvorny in 2017, who noticed some discrepancies in the orbits of small objects in our solar system and proposed that a large, dark object may be responsible.

3. Is there any evidence for the solar snake theory?

While there is currently no direct evidence for the solar snake theory, Dr. Nesvorny's research has been published in a peer-reviewed journal and has sparked further interest and research in the scientific community.

4. How does the solar snake theory differ from other theories of dark matter?

The solar snake theory differs from other theories of dark matter in that it proposes a specific, large object within our solar system as the source of dark matter, rather than an unknown substance present throughout the universe.

5. What are the potential implications of the solar snake theory?

If the solar snake theory is proven to be true, it could greatly expand our understanding of the composition and behavior of our solar system. It could also potentially help to explain other astronomical mysteries and lead to new discoveries in the field of astrophysics.