Understanding Phases of the Moon

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the phase of the moon, its position in the sky, and the time of day it rises. The link provided is not working, but the question asks about determining the time of day the moon rises based on its phase and position in the sky. The conversation also mentions a moon phases simulator as a potential resource for understanding the concept. The explanation provided describes the different positions of the moon and how they relate to the time of day.
zoiberg137
ok, so I guess this is supposed to be really easy, but I just can not seem to get my head wrapped around this...

I have a homework question that goes like this. Here is the link to it: http://www.apsu.edu/sites/apsu.edu/f...5_Solution.pdf

If the link dosent work, it asks:In each figure below (A – F) the Moon is shown in a particular phase along with the position in the sky that the Moon would have at one time during the day (or night). The dark areas on each moon figure show the unlit portions of the Moon visible from Earth at that time. Assume that sunset occurs at 6 pm and that sunrise occurs at 6 am.

I don't get the relation between the phase of the moon, the position of the sky that it is in, and how in the world I am supposed to be able to determine what time of the day it rises.

Perhpas someone knows of a chart of simulation that might help me on this?? My prof used the "moon phases simulator", and made it look so simple, but I am just not getting it :(

Help please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your link is not working, and what you wrote doesn't say what the question is. Or at least I am unable to find out.

Consider the situation at sunset. When the Moon is rising just as the Sun sets, the Earth, Moon and Sun lie in a straight line and its entire face is illuminated... a full Moon. When the Moon lies between the Earth and Sun, the three also lie along a straight line but we are looking at the shadowed face of the Moon... a new Moon. Halfway between that we have the half-illuminated Moon. It is situated halfway between the east and west... directly overhead.

Change the time to dawn now. The full Moon sets just as the Sun rises and the new Moon still lies between Earth and the Sun. We still don't see the new Moon. Halfway between those two cases will position the Moon directly overhead but now the other half of the Moon is illuminated. Interesting that the half-illuminated Moon (first and last quarter) describes a right angle with the Earth and Sun.

Hope it helps.

1. What causes the phases of the moon?

The phases of the moon are caused by the relative positions of the sun, Earth, and moon. As the moon orbits around the Earth, the amount of sunlight that reflects off its surface changes, creating the different phases.

2. How long does it take for the moon to go through all its phases?

The moon takes approximately 29.5 days to go through all its phases, which is known as a lunar cycle. This is because it takes this amount of time for the moon to complete one orbit around the Earth.

3. Why do we only see one side of the moon?

The moon is tidally locked with Earth, meaning that it takes the same amount of time for the moon to rotate on its axis as it does for it to orbit the Earth. This causes the same side of the moon to always face Earth, which is why we only see one side.

4. What is the difference between a waxing and waning moon?

A waxing moon is when the visible portion of the moon is increasing in size, while a waning moon is when the visible portion is decreasing. This is due to the moon's position in relation to the sun and Earth during its orbit.

5. Can the phases of the moon affect human behavior?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the phases of the moon can directly affect human behavior. However, some studies have shown a correlation between the moon's phases and certain behaviors, but more research is needed to understand this relationship.