Voltmeter in simple battery + resistor circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current and voltage in a circuit with multiple resistors and a voltmeter. The given equations and information are used to determine the current and voltage drop across each resistor. The role and placement of the voltmeter is also clarified.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

23uziqc.jpg

Find the current in the circuit and the voltage on the volt meter

Homework Equations

E=22.5 V
Rtot= 1kΩ + 2.4kΩ + 5.6kΩ = 9kΩ
I=U/R=22.5V/9kΩ=2.5mA

A voltmeter has super high resistance, to prevent any current from passing through it. I know that.

So I have the resistance, I have the voltage at the source, and the current in the circuit. Tons of information to work with.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here comes the problem. I don't understand the reasoning that explains what the volt meter is measuring. How do I know if I am measuring the left or the right side? What if there was a battery on the right side too, what then?

But what am I measuring? if you put a volt meter over E, or over R1, I get it. You get the voltage over those specific components, but when the volt meter is in the middle, am I measuring the left side, or the right?

Can somebody help me make sense of this? It's... a sad state of affairs that I don't get this, so please! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
DrOnline said:

Homework Statement

23uziqc.jpg

Find the current in the circuit and the voltage on the volt meter

Homework Equations

E=22.5 V
Rtot= 1kΩ + 2.4kΩ + 5.6kΩ = 9kΩ
I=U/R=22.5V/9kΩ=2.5mA

A voltmeter has super high resistance, to prevent any current from passing through it. I know that.

So I have the resistance, I have the voltage at the source, and the current in the circuit. Tons of information to work with.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here comes the problem. I don't understand the reasoning that explains what the volt meter is measuring. How do I know if I am measuring the left or the right side? What if there was a battery on the right side too, what then?

But what am I measuring? if you put a volt meter over E, or over R1, I get it. You get the voltage over those specific components, but when the volt meter is in the middle, am I measuring the left side, or the right?

Can somebody help me make sense of this? It's... a sad state of affairs that I don't get this, so please! :)

Good work so far. When the voltmeter is shown like that, it is measuring the voltage difference between its top connection between the resistors with respect to the ground at the bottom.

You've figured out the current flowing through the resistors. Now calculate the voltage drop across each resistor (which should still add up to 22.5V). You will then see how much voltage gets dropped across the righthand 2 resistors...

Hmm.. I think I just got it.. sometimes writing out the challenge clears some of the fog.

How about i see it like this... the voltage is 22.5V as it leaves the battery, then it continues to drop as it passes over the series. As it passes by R3, the voltage drops to zero.

This means at the bottom of the voltmeter there is 0 V, and at the Top, you have E-R1*I = 22.5V - 2.5V = 20V..

The difference between the two connectors of the voltmeter is 20V..

Amirite?

Perfect!

Thanks, Berkeman!

1. What is a voltmeter and how does it work?

A voltmeter is a measuring instrument used to measure the electrical potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It works by connecting the two points to be measured with a resistor, and then measuring the voltage drop across the resistor, which is proportional to the potential difference.

2. What is the purpose of using a voltmeter in a simple battery + resistor circuit?

The purpose of using a voltmeter in a simple battery + resistor circuit is to measure the voltage across the resistor, which can help determine the current flowing through the circuit and the resistance of the resistor.

3. How do you connect a voltmeter in a simple battery + resistor circuit?

A voltmeter is connected in parallel with the resistor in the circuit. This means that one end of the voltmeter is connected to one terminal of the resistor, and the other end is connected to the other terminal of the resistor.

4. What is the correct way to read a voltmeter in a simple battery + resistor circuit?

To read a voltmeter in a simple battery + resistor circuit, make sure that the voltmeter is connected in parallel with the resistor. Then, read the voltage measurement displayed on the voltmeter. If the voltmeter has a range, make sure to set it to the appropriate range for the expected voltage.

5. Can a voltmeter be used in any type of circuit?

Yes, a voltmeter can be used in any type of circuit as long as it is connected in parallel with the component or circuit being measured. This includes simple circuits like a battery + resistor circuit, as well as more complex circuits like those found in electronic devices.