Servo Torque Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of selecting the right servo motor and calculating the torque needed for a Pick and Place system. The system consists of 2 Servo Rotary axis with specific speed and acceleration requirements, and a component weighing 50 kgs. The formula for torque and inertia calculation is requested, and the concept of using a 100 mm plate to connect the motor and component is mentioned. The response advises sizing the motor for peak torque based on the masses and speed requirements, and suggests a PDF document for more information.
kripaharan
Hi all,
I am doing a project on Pick and Place system with 2 Servo based Axis control system. I am struggling in selecting the servo motor and torque calculation. My pick and place system consists of 2 Servo Rotary axis which indexes from 0 degree to 180 Degree with 1 Sec acceleration and deceleration and my component weights 50 kgs. Can anyone give me the formula for torque and inertia calculation. My concept is, a 100 mm plate with one end connected directly with servo motor shaft and other end with 50 Kgs component. How do i select servo motor for this kind of system.

Regards
kripaharan

Engineering news on Phys.org
You don't provide any information on HOW the rotary motion of your servo motor is converted to linear motion. Doesn't really matter.

Your motors should be sized for peak torque. Account for all translational & rotational masses and determine the amount of torque required of the motor to accelerate those masses to the desired speed in the required amount of time. Sum everything, and that's peak torque. Your motor must provide at least that much.

This is basic 2nd year dynamics calculations. Websearch for a PDF document called "Smart Motion Cheat Sheet", it is summarized in there.

1. How do you calculate servo torque?

The formula for calculating servo torque is torque = force x distance. To determine the force, you need to consider the load placed on the servo and the desired motion. Once you know the force, you can calculate the distance by measuring the length of the servo arm.

2. What factors affect servo torque?

There are several factors that can affect servo torque, including the load being moved, the speed of movement, the weight and length of the servo arm, and the quality of the servo motor. Additionally, external forces such as friction and gravity can also impact servo torque.

3. How do you choose the right servo motor for a specific torque requirement?

To select the right servo motor for a specific torque requirement, you need to first determine the maximum torque needed to move the load. Then, compare this value to the torque rating of different servo motors and choose one that meets or exceeds the required torque.

4. What are the units of servo torque?

Servo torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (N·m) or ounce-inches (oz·in). These units represent the force and distance components of the torque calculation formula.

5. How do you maintain consistent servo torque?

To maintain consistent servo torque, it is important to regularly check and calibrate the servo motor and its components, such as the gears and bearings. Additionally, using a servo with a higher torque rating than needed can help prevent strain and maintain consistent performance.