What are the key considerations for designing truck wheel studs?

In summary, The conversation is about designing studs for a front truck wheel. The necessary information includes the maximum all up mass, outside diameter of the tire, nominal PCD of the bolt pattern, track width, height of CoG loaded, max lateral acceleration, and desired life. The person is having trouble developing a free body diagram and finding all the forces on the wheel studs. They are also looking for resources to help them determine the mean and alternating forces they will be dealing with and need to decide on the type of rim to use.
rishflab
I need to design studs for a front truck wheel inlcuding the pattern, position, type of stud etc. I am having trouble developing a free body diagram of the wheel studs and finding all the forces on the wheel studs.

I know the following info:

Max all up mass loaded 4200 kg (~70% max on front wheel)
Outside diameter of tyre (Dw) 1100 mm
Nominal PCD of bolt pattern 400 mm
Track width 2200 mm
Height of CoG loaded 1500mm
Max lateral acceleration µg, or rolling over first (u= ~0.9)
Desired Life 20yrs

Does anyone know any textbooks or websites or something which can help me find the forces (mean and alternating) I will be dealing with?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You also need to decide what type of rim you are using. For some, all the loads go thru the bolted connection, but not for other designs.

1. What materials are commonly used for truck wheel studs?

Truck wheel studs are typically made of high-strength steel, such as SAE Grade 8 or 10.9, to withstand the heavy loads and torque forces of commercial trucks.

2. How are the threads on a truck wheel stud designed?

The threads on a truck wheel stud are typically designed to be self-locking, meaning they have a slight angle that causes the nut to tighten as it is turned, preventing it from loosening due to vibrations or torque forces.

3. What is the recommended torque for tightening truck wheel stud nuts?

The recommended torque for tightening truck wheel stud nuts varies depending on the size and material of the stud, but it is typically between 450-500 foot-pounds. It is important to follow the manufacturer's specifications for proper torque to ensure the safety and longevity of the wheel stud.

4. How do wheel stud lengths affect the load capacity of a truck?

The length of a wheel stud can affect the load capacity of a truck by providing more or less clamping force between the wheel and the hub. Longer studs can provide a more secure connection, allowing for higher load capacity, while shorter studs may be suitable for lighter loads.

5. Can wheel studs be reused or should they be replaced every time a wheel is removed?

It is recommended to replace wheel studs every time a wheel is removed, as they can become stretched, damaged, or worn over time. Reusing old wheel studs can compromise the safety and stability of the wheel and should be avoided.