Meaning of fuel gas ring main?

In summary, the fuel gas is used for the heater in the production of benzene from toluene. Any leftover fuel gas is then sent to a "fuel gas ring main", which is a pipe or cable connected in a loop or ring. This allows for the fuel gas to be fed in two directions to any point, ensuring proper pressure and voltage is maintained. This is similar to how a water supply ring main works. The purpose of this ring main is to prevent one load from affecting the local supply capacity, which is important when using fuel gas for multiple burners in production.
Chemist20
Aparently the fuel gas is used for the heater in the production of benzene from toluene. But once this, it goes to the fuel gas ring main which I have no clue of what it is!

Help :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry I have no idea what your second sentence means.

Sorry, I explained myself pretty badly!
Okay, so the fuel gas is used for the heater. and the amount which is left unused is taken to the "fuel gas ring main", and I haven't got a clue of what that is!

Well a ring main is a pipe or cable connected in the form of a loop or ring.

The electricity or piped substance can then be fed in two directions to any point.

The purpose of this is illustrated in my sketch.

Suppose you have loads or outlets A, B and C fed from a source as shown.

If B is a heavy load than there will will a large pressure drop from the source to B.

So if outlet C or load C is fed only via B (the thick line) then it will be fed at low pressure or voltage.

If we now complete the ring via the dashed line the proper pressure or voltage is maintained at C.

Attachments

• ringmain1.jpg
    ringmain1.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 480
Studiot said:
Well a ring main is a pipe or cable connected in the form of a loop or ring.

The electricity or piped substance can then be fed in two directions to any point.

The purpose of this is illustrated in my sketch.

Suppose you have loads or outlets A, B and C fed from a source as shown.

If B is a heavy load than there will will a large pressure drop from the source to B.

So if outlet C or load C is fed only via B (the thick line) then it will be fed at low pressure or voltage.

If we now complete the ring via the dashed line the proper pressure or voltage is maintained at C.

thanks a lot for the effort, but I don't quite see what this has to do with the fuel. I mean, voltaje? I thought that in the fuel oil main ring the fuel was circulating, not electricity!

thanks again!:)

Use your imagination.

:biggrin:

I said pipe or cable.

There is a water supply ring main around London.

I can remember a bentonite (a drilling mud) ring main at one site I worked.

The point is that whatever is supplied has two paths to feed any load, thus bypassing another load that affects the local supply capacity.

Your fuel gas is fed through such a ring pipe so that the firing up of one burner does not affect an adjacent one.

1. What is a fuel gas ring main?

A fuel gas ring main is a network of pipes used to distribute fuel gas from a central source to different parts of a building or facility. It is a closed loop system that allows for efficient and safe delivery of fuel gas.

2. What is the purpose of a fuel gas ring main?

The main purpose of a fuel gas ring main is to provide a continuous supply of fuel gas to different areas of a building or facility. It also allows for easier maintenance and repair of the gas supply system.

3. How does a fuel gas ring main work?

A fuel gas ring main works by connecting a central gas source, such as a storage tank or gas meter, to a network of pipes that run throughout a building. The gas flows through the pipes and is distributed to various outlets, such as gas appliances or heaters.

4. What are the benefits of a fuel gas ring main?

Some of the benefits of a fuel gas ring main include efficient and safe distribution of fuel gas, easier maintenance and repair, and the ability to control and monitor gas consumption in different areas of a building.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a fuel gas ring main?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a fuel gas ring main. These include regular inspection and maintenance of the system, proper installation and use of gas appliances, and following safety guidelines for handling and storing fuel gas. It is also important to have a gas leak detection system in place to ensure early detection of any gas leaks.