Find the drag over a flat plate with laminar and turbulent boundary layers

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of drag on a flat plate moving at a velocity of 105 ft/s in an atmosphere with a pressure of 2100 psf and a temperature of 75F. The plate has a chord of 2 feet and a span of 3.5 feet, and its viscosity is 3.7373e-7 slug/ft-s. The first part of the conversation focuses on finding the drag on the plate for a laminar and turbulent boundary layer over the entire plate. The second part discusses the determination of the boundary layer thickness at the trailing edge of the plate for both cases. Finally, the conversation addresses the calculation of the laminar portion of the flow over the plate based on a
strine07

Homework Statement

Consider a flat plate moving at V = 105 ft/s in an atmosphere with P = 2100 psf and T =
75F, with a viscosity of vis = 3.7373e-7 slug/ft-s. The plate has a 2 foot chord and a 3.5
foot span.
a. Find the drag on the plate for:
i. A boundary layer that is laminar over the entire plate
ii. A boundary layer that is turbulent over the entire plate
b. How thick is the boundary layer at the trailing edge of the plate for the same two
cases? (laminar over entire plate; turbulent over entire plate).
c. If boundary layer transition occurs at Retr = 420,000, how much of the flow over
the plate is laminar?

Homework Equations

shear stress= vis(dV/dy) @ the wall (y=0)
Retr= (rho)(V)(xtr)/vis
Boundary thickness (lam)= (5.2x)/(sqrt(Rex))
Boundary thickness (turb)= (.37x)/(Rex^0.2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm mostly having trouble with finding the drag on the plate I know it's two times the shear stress (for both sides of the plate) but don't know how to find dV/dy

Physics news on Phys.org
. For part B I know how to find the boundary layer thickness but don't know how to find x. For part C I'm not sure what Retr is or how to solve for it.

1. What is drag?

Drag is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid (such as air or water). It is caused by the friction and pressure differences between the fluid and the surface of the object.

2. What is a flat plate?

A flat plate is a two-dimensional object with a constant thickness and a flat surface. In the context of fluid dynamics, it is often used as a simplified model for studying the effects of drag on an object.

3. What is a laminar boundary layer?

A laminar boundary layer is a thin region of fluid near the surface of an object where the flow is smooth and in parallel layers. This type of boundary layer is typically characterized by low friction and low drag.

4. What is a turbulent boundary layer?

A turbulent boundary layer is a thicker region of fluid near the surface of an object where the flow is chaotic and constantly changing. This type of boundary layer is typically characterized by high friction and high drag.

5. How is drag calculated for a flat plate with laminar and turbulent boundary layers?

The drag for a flat plate with laminar and turbulent boundary layers can be calculated using the skin friction coefficient and the form drag coefficient. These coefficients take into account the friction and pressure differences in the boundary layer and the shape and size of the object. The total drag can then be found by adding the contributions from the laminar and turbulent boundary layers together.