Help Needed: Wrong Sign in (b)

• Thread starter odolwa99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the problem involves finding the value of sin A and tan A given a specific condition and equation. The answer for part (a) is 4/5 and for part (b) is -4/3, taking into account the range of A and the sign of cosine.
odolwa99
In this question, my answer to part (a) is correct, & leads into (b). With (b) my answer is also correct, except for the sign. Can anyone help me figure what I need to do?

Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Q. [itex]90^{\circ}<A<180^{\circ}[/itex] such that [itex]\sin(A+\frac{\pi}{6})+\sin(A-\frac{\pi}{6})=\frac{4\sqrt{3}}{5}[/itex]. Find (a) [itex]\sin A[/itex] & (b) [itex]\tan A[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [itex]\sin A\cos \frac{\pi}{6}+\cos A\sin{\pi}{6}+\sin A\cos\frac{\pi}{6}-\cos A\sin\frac{\pi}{6}=\frac{4\sqrt{3}}{5}[/itex]
[itex]2\sin A\cos\frac{\pi}{6}=\frac{4\sqrt{3}}{5}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{2\sqrt{3}\sin A}{2}=\frac{4\sqrt{3}}{5}[/itex]
[itex]2\sqrt{3}\sin A=\frac{8\sqrt{3}}{10\sqrt{3}}[/itex]
[itex]\sin A=\frac{4}{5}[/itex]

(b) [itex]\tan A=\frac{\sin A}{\cos A}[/itex]
[itex]\sin^2A+cos^2A=1[/itex]
[itex](\frac{4}{5})^2+cos^2A=1[/itex]
[itex]\cos^2A=1-\frac{16}{25}[/itex]
[itex]\cos A=\sqrt{\frac{9}{25}}[/itex]
[itex]\cos A=\frac{3}{5}[/itex]
[itex]\tan A=\frac{4}{5}/\frac{3}{5}[/itex]
[itex]\tan A=\frac{4}{3}[/itex]

Answer: (From textbook): (b) [itex]\frac{-4}{3}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the condition given in the question: π/2 ≤ A ≤ π. if you like, draw the CAST diagram or sketch the cosine graph - what is the sign of cos here?
Note also [itex] \sqrt{9/25} = +/- 3/5 [/itex]

Great. Thank you.

What is "Help Needed: Wrong Sign in (b)"?

"Help Needed: Wrong Sign in (b)" is a common error message that appears when trying to sign in to a website or online account. It means that the username or password entered is incorrect.

Why am I getting this error message?

You are getting this error message because the username or password you entered does not match the information associated with your account. It could be due to a typo or a forgotten password.

How do I fix this error?

To fix this error, double check the username and password you entered. Make sure there are no typos and try again. If you have forgotten your password, you can reset it by clicking on the "Forgot Password" link and following the instructions.

What if I am still unable to sign in?

If you are still unable to sign in, you may need to contact the website or account's customer support for further assistance. They may be able to help you reset your password or troubleshoot any other issues.

How can I prevent this error from happening in the future?

To prevent this error from happening in the future, make sure to use the correct username and password for your account. You can also enable two-factor authentication for added security. Additionally, be sure to keep your login information safe and secure.